Author Topic: Turkey pricing  (Read 4762 times)

prudentsmoker

Turkey pricing
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
Are Butterball turkeys worth the extra .20 per pound? I was going to buy 2 or 3.
Brian from Wichita

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Turkey pricing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
A little depends on your personality.  I think those are pretty much designed for folks that want to cook them with little additional effort.  If you are a typical anal retentive smoker like most of us, you like to tinker with your bird prep before smoking.  If you are a briner, it is probably not worth the extra $.20/lbs.  If you just want to defrost and throw in the smoker, it might be an option for the $$.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »
Let you in on a little "trade secret," Brian...it doesn't matter, unless you are buying a true free-range, minimally-processed premium fresh bird, from your butcher or local farmer.

The company I work for hauls a LOT of turkeys (40,000+ lbs at a time), for all the main commercial producers.  The processing plants just change packaging, several times a day, for Butterball, Honeysuckle White, or a host of grocery store brands.  They're the same birds.  The only difference is the amount of "solution added," which generally ranges from 3-8%.  This varies by plant, not label.  So, pretty much any fresh or frozen bird you buy at Wally World, or the grocery store, is the same.  Just go for the cheapest you can find, brine it and smoke it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
A little depends on your personality.  I think those are pretty much designed for folks that want to cook them with little additional effort.  If you are a typical anal retentive smoker like most of us, you like to tinker with your bird prep before smoking.  If you are a briner, it is probably not worth the extra $.20/lbs.  If you just want to defrost and throw in the smoker, it might be an option for the $$.

To my point, above...advertising works! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
Tony, that is so good to know. Thanks much. My local grocery store has them for .89 per pound. Time to stock up.
Brian from Wichita

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Tony, that is so good to know. Thanks much. My local grocery store has them for .89 per pound. Time to stock up.
Is that the best price in your area?  Best price in Sacramento so far has been $.69/lbs.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
.89 is the best I have seen so far. Maybe I better check some more. However, gas is down to $1.66 at some places.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
Best price in Sacramento so far has been $.69/lbs.

Holy gobbler, Batman!  That's cheap!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »
FWIW,
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
FWIW,

Wow!  Who wouldn't smoke turkeys all year, at that price???  Cheaper than any other meat!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:25:47 PM »
FWIW,

DDF, those must be the Chinese turkeys.  LOL!!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
FWIW,

Not quite as good as Martin's deal, but I'll take this deal at 54ยข. :)

We're going to have traditional oven cooked turkey for Thanksgiving at my folk's house, but I am going to be smoking this 14.21 pounder on Friday or Saturday (not sure what day yet).

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 09:45:49 PM »
There you go, Gregg!

One thing I didn't mention about the Butterball birds, in the previous post....the only things that Butterball does differently is that during the processing, the leg tendons are pulled out when they remove the feet.  And, they use the flap of skin to hold the ends of the legs in place, instead of the little plastic doo-hickey (technical term, of course).  Other than that, its the same bird as the rest!
Tony from NW Arkansas