Author Topic: #3 probe mounting  (Read 3042 times)

willjr

#3 probe mounting
« on: August 22, 2015, 06:33:09 AM »
Hi, I expect my # 3 to arrive on Monday and I will be mounting the wall mount
Auber temp probe when I get it.  Is 1 inch below the top better than the "just below the top grate" position?  I just want to make sure I mount this probe once.
I have had a weber WSM for 15 years and have been very pleased with it, but am looking forward to something that is a little easier to use.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:36:30 AM by willjr »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: #3 probe mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
Bill, owners of #1, #2 and #3's claim that they have food/probe interference the lower you mount the probe.  1" from the top has been accepted universally as the best place to mount for stable air and out of the way of food.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Hey Bill and welcome from Kansas City, on my #3 I mounted it to the left of the center support and about 1 1/4 inches from the top. Also if you do a bypass with a switch you can place the switch close to the red light on top. Make sure you get the nylon spacer. I purchased mine at Lowe's in the hardware section speciality drawers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:05:47 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

willjr

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies
How thick of a nylon spacer is recommended.  How much probe do you want protruding into the cabinet?

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Morning Bill, let me look for my post when I did my conversions as I had it listed. But, looked to be one inch. On the package it is as follows: 1/2 inch by .328 by 1 inch. I purchased mine at Lowe's in the hardware section speciality drawers. Also take the permanent wall probe along with you to make sure it fits. You will have enough room to get the nut on the wall mount sensor and to tighten it. The probe itself is quite long but do not worry about this.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:09:32 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

willjr

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:14:36 AM »
Thanks, very helpful information

Bill

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
I think I read the auber instruction section at least 4 time. And really is pretty easy, the only advise I have if you do the bypass and add a dpdt switch just get the toggle on/on switch. I went with a green plastic rocker switch on my #1 smoker and had to use a dremel to cut a square hole. With the toggle switch you just drill a half inch hole. On my #3 smoker I purchase from another forum user and he had the switch mounted on the back I moved it to the top and was a piece of cake.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
Welcome, Bill!  Yes, 1" below the top is great.  The Auber instructions were based on placement in the Bradley smoker.  I did that on my first install, and found the probe got in the way of the meat.  Since the heated air is most stable at the top of the box, the 1" down position works great.  Just be sure to follow the instructions and do an autotune.  I see Bill hooked you up on the spacer size.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!