Author Topic: decided on the #3  (Read 21985 times)

Glock_21

Re: decided on the #3
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
No Auber, stock #3 as it came out of the box.  I usually buy pork shoulders between 6 and 8 lbs (bone in Boston Butt).  I know every smoke is different but smokes in my #3 consistently take way longer than a similar smoke on my Traeger pellet grill, or finishing off in the oven.  I just don't feel like it should take 18 - 22 hours to get a pork shoulder to 195 or a brisket to 205.  And, I don't feel like it should be impossible to hit max temp (250 in this case) with food in the smoker.  I realize the analog controller will over/under shoot.  But you can't average 250 if you never even get to 250 (and above).
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
Hey Travis, that is the truth, I really cannot help much as just did 3 racks of ribs in my #3. It is also 2 yrs. old but the ribs were very moist and tender. I just finished doing modifications to both smokers. I will try a point of a brisket, prior to getting the #3 I had purchase 2 briskets at 14# and cut them into & put them in the freezer. I also have an issue with my maverick but will check it out. I totally agree with you that your BB should not take longer than maybe 10 hrs. When I did mine I used the Texas crunch. When it hits an IT of 160 degrees, I pulled it triple wrapped in foil and back until it hit 195. That smoke took about 10 hours in my #1. Now if you have a large brisket say a 14# one then it might run around 15 hrs. And Steve the owner did not offer you any help/suggestions? Have you spoken with Tony/DeviotMaker about this problem?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:43 PM »
No Auber, stock #3 as it came out of the box.  I usually buy pork shoulders between 6 and 8 lbs (bone in Boston Butt).  I know every smoke is different but smokes in my #3 consistently take way longer than a similar smoke on my Traeger pellet grill, or finishing off in the oven.  I just don't feel like it should take 18 - 22 hours to get a pork shoulder to 195 or a brisket to 205.  And, I don't feel like it should be impossible to hit max temp (250 in this case) with food in the smoker.  I realize the analog controller will over/under shoot.  But you can't average 250 if you never even get to 250 (and above).

Travis, temperature is temperature, regardless of the smoker.  What temp are you smoking butts at on your Traeger?  The general consensus, around here is butts are smoked at 225-240.  Also, are you placing any kind of large drip pan between the meat and smoke box?  This can have a negative effect on box temp (to the low side).

While it's not out of the question to have butts go 2 hours per pound, I've not found it to be the norm.  If you are reaching 275 with the smoker empty, there has to be a variable we're missing.  If you could provide some more details about your exact setup, I'm sure we'll figure this out!  The smoker is obviously capable of hitting 275, and a 8 lb butt is not going to prevent that.

So we don't totally hijack Allmann's thread, feel free to post a new one on this, and I'll merge the posts here that deal with it.  We have encountered these kinds of issues before, and have always solved them - we're here to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
I dont mind at all. I am obviously having the same problems. Mine empty went as high as 272 dropping to 212when it was set on 250. I haven't spoke to steve yet Its been hectic between work and everything.  I think I will be doing the auber, but I don't know if that will fix the problem
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
  I think I will be doing the auber, but I don't know if that will fix the problem
At least a portion of the time. ::)  The Aubers seem to randomly have a mind of their own but generally, lock on and keep temps consistent. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

allmann

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
GReat Dave you're making me think I got in over my head.

Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
Hey Kevin, it is the same with all new things, just needs getting used to it. If I was you would try a 7# or 8# Boston butt with the bone. Smoke it at 235 and see how it turns out. Put it on around 10:00 or 11:00 pm. You have the maverick set it for an IT of 195 and go to bed the maverick will wake you up.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »
GReat Dave you're making me think I got in over my head.

Kevin, don't let Dave scare you.  Some have had issues with Aubers, just like anything else, but I never have (and have 3 of them).  Like I said to Glock21 - if you're hitting in the 270s empty, the smoker is working properly.  You could be seeing a problem created by something else, such as temp probe placement or use of a drip pan...not sure how you were set up.  Bottom line is that, if the smoker is exceeding 250 empty, it is working properly.

Now, onto the Auber.  The beauty of the Auber is that it is a simple way to have complete control over your smoker.  Especially if you bypass the stock controller (which is really easy, btw, and I have instructions posted), you take out the "middle man" and let the Auber drive the bus.  You can exceed 250 with ease, and accurately.  Personally, I love the Auber, and wouldn't own a smoker without it.  I use it on the 1, 2 and 3!  I also highly recommend the wall-mount probe; it takes out any variables you get with the drop-in probe...it's foolproof!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
+1 for Tony, I too have 2 Aubers, and really like them. I enjoy setting a temp. and can look at the Auber and it is dead on the temp. you set. Also I really do not trust the Maverick that I have. But, that is a dead horse story. I purchase one of mine thru this site. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=381
If you do get one I suggest the permanent wall mount sensor. Not sure what Steve charges, but at auberins it is just $2.00 more. I thought that was a good deal.

allmann

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
Thanks guys I think I will be taking the plunge and getting one. I am not good with electrical stuff, but if you say the instal is easy then I am all for trying it.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
Hey Kevin, Trust me I just did my #1 and was a pretty easy. There are all kinds of info in the Auber section of the forum. Also you can ask me anything. I think now can do this in my sleep. And you do not have to be a wizard to do the bypass, add a dpdt switch. Just some minor tools, and a couple of drill bits. All the items you will need can be purchase at Lowe's. But, if I can do it anyone can. I just looked Steve has the pid for the #3 at $230 and another $29 for the permanent wall mount sensor. Where the site I gave you has it for $218 and $2.00 for the wall mount sensor. Not sure on shipping charges. This is the unit you will need WSD-1500GPH. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with.

allmann

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
Thank you I am sure I will. I will be ordering tomorrow so we will see when I get it.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 09:33:47 PM »
Might I ask where you will be ordering it from? If you don't mind my asking. Just curious...

DivotMaker

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »
Thank you I am sure I will. I will be ordering tomorrow so we will see when I get it.

I recommend ordering from Steve.  If for nothing else, customer support is worth a few extra bucks. 
Tony from NW Arkansas