Author Topic: The First Real Big Test For My Model 3  (Read 5517 times)

Big Red Home Smoker

The First Real Big Test For My Model 3
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
I don't post too often but had to share some information.  I purchased my model 3 late last summer to replace a Bradley smoker I had for several years.  The reason for my purchase was that on July 5th of 2014 I made a trip to a local dumpster and tossed the Bradley into it!

My biggest smoke every year is on the 4th of July.  I typically fill the smoker up with as many racks of baby backs as it will hold as part of the overall meal for our guests.  Ribs served along with kabobs is our traditional meal on the 4th.  The Bradley did ok with smaller amounts of ribs, etc. but anytime I tried to fill it up, it would never get up to temp and I constantly had to fight having the ribs get cooked. I'd usually take them out in a panic and moving into them into the oven so they would get done.  Last year was the last straw.........thus my trip to the dumpster last year on July 5th!  I just got tired of all the drama.

I used my model 3 a few times last summer/fall with smaller amounts of ribs and salmon, etc. to get a feel for my new smoker.  I went all in for this year's 4th of July and filled up every tray in the smoker (10 racks of baby backs - roughly 30lbs of ribs).  I'll mention that I also purchased the Auber as well with the model 3 and it worked as advertised keeping the temps very consistent.  I'm here to say that the model 3 performed flawlessly!  1st hour at 140 degrees and right at 4 hours and 45 minutes at 230 degrees.  I never peeked once unitl the end.  Perfectly smoked and cooked ribs with great bark and almost falling off the bone meat.

I am sooooooooo stoked about the performance.  What a great smoker!  Again, I don't pass out praise very often but felt compelled to share for anyone considering the purchase of one of these Smokin-it smokers!

Thank all of you who helped me when I reached out while considering the purchase of this smoker and thank you to Smokin-it!

Big Red Home Smoker
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:15:09 PM by Big Red Home Smoker »
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: The First Real Big Test For My Model 3
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
Terry, if both the guests and the cook are happy then it is a great day! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
Congratulations Terry! That's awesome.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Limey

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Sounds like a great smoke. Congratulations.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
Smokin-it is just a different way of spelling success.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Wow that is a lot of ribs!

Nice smoke.

Greg

KY Smoke

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
Sounds like you had a big time this year on the 4th, and the only thing you took to the dumpster on the 5th this year were a lot of meatless rib bones!!  ;)

But was right there with you Terry!  My previous Brinkman gasser found a new home at the scrap metal center, right before I placed my order for my #3 in June!  Since I converted from gas to electric, it's been a learning curve the last few weeks.  But the smoker and its quality are top notch and you aren't going to find any better help than the guys on this forum! 

Nothing better than to be totally happy with a big purchase!....other than to have your wife agree it turns out the best BBQ that she's ever had!  8)

drains

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
That's a great testimony Big Red! Thanks for sharing your experience with the #3. What type of wood did you use and how much? Thanks
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »
Hi Terry!  Good to see you again!! ;D   Now that you have some good experience with the #3, join in the fun whenever you can!  We love to hear everyone's opinions/stories/ideas!  As you can see, we've grown a lot in the last year - thanks to folks like you!  Hope to see you around more often! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohio1956

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »
Great story, I almost bought the Bradley because of the stainless inside. I just could not pull the trigger. Then I started the search and found the #3. The grandkids loved the chicken so well, we did a few chickens over the 4th and it was great.
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:46 AM »
Thanks everyone........

Dale, I used a combo of hickory and apple wood.  I don't have a digital scale (I will soon), but would estimate about 2 oz of each.  Pretty much one chunk of hickory and one chunk of apple.

Tony, you were one of the main forum members helping answer my questions a year ago that helped me make up my mind to purchase the model #3.  Thanks again for all your help!

Rod, I was just talking to my wife last night about my next ventures and both whole chicken and brisket were discussed.  Good to know that you had great success with the chicken.

Looking forward to testing this bad boy out on many more smokes!
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

Limey

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
Chicken works great on the SIs. Don't let all these "Pork Huggers" denigrate the yard birds (but pork is good too)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

mizzoufan

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
just takes one itty bitty extra step if you're looking to leave the skin on.  If not, then no extra steps needed and the chicken comes out very tasty
Steven from KCMO

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
So what is that one little extra step Steven?  I've never smoked a whole chicken before.  I have smoked turkeys before on a different smoker.

I've been reading the forum and I'll most likely keep the skin on and will also most likely brine the chickens.  I think I'm also going to try Tony's (DivotMaker) brine recipe.

Thanks, 
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
Terry, chicken is great in an SI!  This post is a little old, but I haven't re-done it because it's still the way I do whole chicken!  Adding the chopped celery, onion and carrots to the cavity, imo, is the key to a spectacular smoked chicken!  See what you think...

Brined Whole Chicken
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!