Author Topic: Warming up on the gasser  (Read 3702 times)

Analog Curmudgeon

Warming up on the gasser
« on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:58 PM »
The Analog Curmudgeon limbers up at the console of the Mighty Weber with some fresh salmon and asparagus in preparation of tonight's main event: a pork shoulder overnight smoke. Some adult beverage, Hot Rize along with a little Doc and Merle Watson supply the proper atmosphere.
Stay tuned.
Brian
Brian---Livin' and perfumin' at the foot of Pikes Peak with a 2015 Smokin-It #3, 2009 Weber Genesis Special Edition, 2008 Weber Smokey Mountain, and a 1965 Weber Kettle.

Analog Curmudgeon

Re: Warming up on the gasser
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »
Here we go-225 degrees at 9:30 PM Mountain Daylight Savings Time. I will monitor smoker temp this time and also have an I-Devices internal probe linked to my I-phone. Next will be 8 hrs of uninterrupted Lazy-Q Rem sleep/smoke. Updates tomorrow.
Brian
Brian---Livin' and perfumin' at the foot of Pikes Peak with a 2015 Smokin-It #3, 2009 Weber Genesis Special Edition, 2008 Weber Smokey Mountain, and a 1965 Weber Kettle.

drains

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »
Lookin good Brian! Keep those updates coming. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Analog Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
13 hrs in and probably 3-4 to go. I've been monitoring Smokin-It temps and very pleased to see pretty tight cycling of approximately plus or minus 10 degrees around the 225 setting. Apologies to the Lazy Q devotees, I see no need to monitor my Smokin-It temps in the future and vow never to veer off the path of the true Lazy-Q philosophy again.
Small round object in front of the white Pyrex display is my I-Devices meat temp probe connected to my I Phone via Bluetooth.
Brian

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:06 PM »
Should be close now, Brian!  Btw - you have to check those box temps at least once, so you can "fully" accept the Lazy Q lifestyle! ;)   Love your music choices, too!  So glad to see Hot Rize back together and touring.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Analog Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
Here are the results, although they had a very short half-life. I have a fairly good measure of experience with my Smokey Mtn but I have to say, I am VERY impressed with the Smokin-It 3. With only 2 smokes under my belt, burp, the results have been exactly as they should be with very little effort on my part; exactly what I was looking forward to. Temps are very stable, times are what I would expect, and prep/clean up minimal. Not quite the crust that results from more traditional BBQ but I knew that going in and am more than happy with the results.
I hope everyone had a special Father's Day. My dad will be 85 next month and I am so glad/fortunate to have him.
Next smoke T minus 6 days and counting.
Brian

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
Not quite the crust that results from more traditional BBQ but I knew that going in and am more than happy with the results.

The bark on that butt looks pretty darn good, to me!  Not sure what you mean by "not the crust" as traditional BBQ.  Personally, I find I can produce very chewy, dark bark in the SI.  I think a lot of it is the rub - a little higher sugar content really helps caramelize a great bark.  You won't get a smoke ring, without a little help from nitrites in a brine, but you can still make killer bark.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Analog Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
Great advice-thanks Tony.
Brian

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
Also, Brian, I get the best bark by not wrapping, or opening the door at all, during the smoke.  Foiling will never produce really "great" bark in an electric!
Tony from NW Arkansas