Author Topic: SI #3  (Read 5521 times)

Big Fish

SI #3
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Anyone have a SI #3 and the top gets painfully hot? I thought these were supposed to be so insulated so they are cool to the touch. I can fry an egg on the top of mine. The sides are cool to the touch.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: SI #3
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »
I have a #3 and noticed it was "Painfully Hot" on sunny days and much less on a overcast day. It is still cooler than my old smoker any day regardless of the weather.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
They are insulated, sides and top.  If you're running at 250, the top will be warmer than the sides (heat rises).  I always set my Maverick on top of the #1 and #2 with no problems.  It's warmer than the sides, but it would take a long time to fry an egg on.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Fish

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
It has an overhead top over it - so no sun. It can/will fry an egg. I'm just winding down now with a smoke. Next session, I will fry an egg on top and show you how hot it gets. I leaned on the top of it and have red forearms.  :'(

Big Fish

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »
Also, the temperature is all over the place. I opened the door once (I know, I know) and hasn't been able to maintain a temp since.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Look inside the smoker in the back above the firebox and coil. That is the thermostat. Is it wrapped in packing material? If you didn't remove it it makes a difference.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, this isn't your first smoke.  Did you notice this before?  Also, what do you consider temps "all over the place?"  The analog controller will have up to 20° swings, but it averages-out just fine.  If you want temps to always show within a couple of degrees, you need a PID.  All analog electric smokers have temp swings, as well as the "digital" Cookshacks...nature of the beast.  You'll drive yourself batty if you constantly monitor the box temp during cooks.  If I'm using my #1 (analog, no PID), I don't even monitor the box temp anymore.  I know it averages to the set temp, because the cook times are accurate for the temp I'm using.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Big Fish

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
When I did my first rack, I didn't know - the Maverick didn't show up. I really don't need a thermometer for the ribs, just for the box. Yep Tony, 20 degree swing was about right. Okay, I thought I was losing my mind. I'm going to get a PID, but afraid to order from SI. Yes, the packing is off the back near the probe. Now, to figure out why the top of the unit gets so hot.

Big Fish

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
Oh, it does produce some killer ribs. Almost perfect. I just need different variations of rubs and q-sauces. I did 2 racks today, one with rub and q-sauce - one with rub and an apricot glaze. Both were a hit and DELISH. I'm kinda pissed that Steve missed the FREE add-ons though. I had to pay for the cord holder and no Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor.  :'( I got the wrong cover too, I didn't see the long one on the site when I ordered, to cover the box and stand. That just might have been an oversight on my part, but it's there now. I didn't open it, so Steve said I could swap it - the other is on backorder until July though. I'll just dig up a tarp for now. Overall, this thing is killer. I can't wait until I put a butt in there.

Glad you and Sarge talked me into it - very well made and I'll have it for years. The best thing, while smoking, I don't have to feed the beast - 2 small chunks of wood is perfect for our taste.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
I'm going to get a PID, but afraid to order from SI.

Why?  I can't emphasize enough that the last couple of weeks has been very tough for SI, with the move and all.  Steve works closely with Auber, and there's no reason to not order from the company that made your smoker.  Everything is getting back to normal now.
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
Sometime when you are bored, and if you are so inclined, pop the top off the smoker to see if the insulation got laid in properly during manufacture. It may have been moved around when the wiring was installed at the factory and not placed back properly.  Wear gloves!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
Never had an issue with the top of my #3 being hot.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Mine gets somewhat hotter on the top than the sides. And hotter toward the smoke hole. Or maybe I should say warmer. It is sometimes amazing when people actually measure a temp they think is truly hot when in reality it might be only 20 to 30 degrees warmer than body temperature. It feels hotter than it is. And there is a warning sticker on the SI, ST and CS smokers that the smoker is hot.  It is there for a reason.  Don't lean on it and don't set a cold beer on it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Big Fish

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
I tried telling the kids that - and even a few adults that had a few, but....

I am going to take her apart. I just ordered the PID Auber from Steve (Tony, you're killing me). I am going to hard wire it like Tony did. ;-)

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
Good move, Ernie - you'll love the Auber.  When you take the back off to do the bypass, check that top insulation (I know you will).  If you do the permanent temp probe, check out my post on that in the Auber section.
Tony from NW Arkansas