Author Topic: Sorry not buying.. Getting a yoder ys640 thx  (Read 9781 times)

501 Smoque

Sorry not buying.. Getting a yoder ys640 thx
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
Thx to all but i think i might want to do some comps and this just makes more of my money at this time i do believe this is a great product tho

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Sorry not buying.. Getting a yoder ys640 thx
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:28:29 AM »
I have not used or seen a YS640 in action; however, I did research pellet versus electric.

While pellet are very much set it and forget it, there are two concerns (maybe three) that impacted my decision not to get one. Suspect this means nothing as there are obviously many satisfied users!

1. Pellet wood is expensive. Yes, there is much more controlled smoke through the entire process; however the smoke really only penetrates the food the first few hours. That said, for true enthusiasts pellets offer a smoke ring (which is optics only and has no impact on the taste).

2. The mechanical auger. I personally didn't want a mechanical device that I would have to worry about coming apart or breaking down over time. Also, I cannot recall, but the YS wasn't stainless and that was a requirement for me as I wanted the unit to be with me for a good period of time.

3. Price. The price of the YS versus a comparable electric was ~30-40% above what was available at Smokin It.

No worries - smoked food is good food. Suspect it would be great if you could weigh in once you get the smoker and let us know how its going...
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
I also considered the pellet smokers. The quantity of wood compared to these, the simplicity, the price & the obvious (no hassle) consistant success from everyone influenced my decision.  @ 1st I thought the end product might be better with a true wood or coal unit but I don't believe that anymore.  All the smoke we need is generated with such a small amount of wood chunks.  I also can harvest pecan, oak and some fruitwoods from my own acreage for use.  This was a great fit for me.  I hope the YS works out well for you.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
Happy smoking 501!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Thanks for visiting us, Smoque!  Hope the Yoder meets your needs.  I, too, considered a pellet (almost bought a Traeger), until I learned of the common issues with the mechanical parts, and the cost of the pellets.  Best of luck, and happy smoking!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
Good luck with your Yoder,,,
Stop by from time to time and let us know how you like it, and share some of your cooks with us...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Rob Babcock

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »
From what I hear the Yoder is a great smoker.  I have a Traeger and a Smokin-It #3 and both are great.  The Traeger is better for chicken IMO and brats, the #3 is better for almost everything else.  Pellet grills will generally reach higher temps so they kind of bridge the gap between smoking and grilling.  The smoke flavor imparted is much more subtle than with a UDS or electric.