Author Topic: How to get free shipping?  (Read 13232 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How to get free shipping?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
Well, it was worth a shot. Just trying to think outside the box. I agree that even with the shipping the SI units appear to be well worth it compared to the similar models from CookShack and SmokenTex. My only wish was that they came with a built-in Auber unit instead of having to rig it yourself even though it appears to be fairly easy.

Dave's right about the built-in controller costs for Cookshack - crazy expensive.  We're testing an electronic #2 (check out the post in Upgrades).  Got a ways to go on the controller board, but it's moving in the right direction!  Baby steps...  Lots of hurdles to overcome, but Steve and Ben are definitely heading the right way.  I believe the digital controller will eventually be an option on all models; it's just the test unit is a #2. 

The Auber is amazing, and Like Dave said, if it quits working you still have a functioning smoker.  I think a great balance between the electronic controller I'm testing, and the crazy level of Auber functionality, would be sort of an "Auber-Lite" version for the built-in.  Not as complicated as setting all the PID variables, but more than just simple time & temp settings.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!