Poll

Is there a big difference and if so y?

Will ribs be better?
0 (0%)
Will butt need a water pan?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: PID should i buy it or no!  (Read 4648 times)

501 Smoque

PID should i buy it or no!
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Im new to this i was going to get a cookshack but this is the same but better just no digital temp

Wik

Re: PID should i buy it or no!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
Do you need the PID, no it is not necessary but I believe you can have tighter temp control range.  But the reason I went for it was to have the ability to set various steps.  Meaning I can have it do the following:
Step 1 - Heat Smoker to 225F until internal meat temp hits 203F (for Pork Butt)
Step 2 - Change Smoker to 140F for X hrs to keep it warm till I have a chance to check on it

It allows you to set up to 6 different steps.  Granted will it make any better BBQ?  Well that is all up for debate, I just like the additional accuracy it allow and the steps.  Plus if you are like me, I purchased the smoker as-is, then later decided on the PID to spread out the costs.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try and help but I only have about 5-6 smokes under my belt with it.
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
I agree with Wik.

I did a whacko spreadsheet listing out each OEM, the features, and the cost.
I found that going with SI3, cart, and Auber was still a better deal by far versus anything else.

I will see if I have my summary notes... But once I wrote it all down to compare side by side it was a no brainer.

I will say I was able to waive shipping charges because I picked it up in store.... Plus ordering on cyber Monday got me about $60 of accessories of which the cover i knew I would get.

No idea if it helps the end results... But because I was going all in ... According to my standards... I wanted the temp control perfect.

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
'evening Smoque,

I believe you have made a good choice on the SI3. Plenty large enough for just about anything you care to smoke.  Regarding the PID.  It is not necessary to provide good bbq. It will provide temperatures with less swing (see the FAQ section).  Temperature swings are normal, and over the period of time necessary to do ribs, or a butt, or what ever you cook, it will average out to the temperature you set.  This is common for all analog smokers, regardless of make.  And the food is really good.

The PID reduces greatly the temperature swing to just a couple of degrees + or - of your set temp. For those who demand that type accuracy (or reassurance that all is well), it is a good investment.  And you can set them to cook to a predetermined internal temp like Wik stated and that is a nice feature.

And as PolishQ said,  $ for $, you come out ahead with the SI3 and the Auber and cart when you compare to the competition.  Just be sure you are looking at the same capacity for the smoker, or as close as possible.  You really cannot go wrong.  Good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

501 Smoque

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »
Thx to all of you....Your thoughts are golden....i think im going to get it so it will make piece of mind not to mention a easyer way of smoking....

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
Hi Smoque,

The comments here are spot-on; you don't need an Auber, but it will give you a level of control beyond analog.  I do not (yet) have an Auber, and produce great Q pretty much every week with the analog controller on my #1.  Fortunately, BBQ smoking is NOT an "exact science" like baking, where a couple of degrees can make a world of difference.  With Q, "close" is more than good enough.  Even the analog controllers that come standard are far more accurate than the temp control on any stick burner or traditional smoker.  You will achieve great Q with minimal effort!  I would recommend trying a few smokes with the stock unit before buying the Auber.  Then, you'll have a frame of reference.  And, you may even find the stock controller to be just fine. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:44:29 PM »
Will the Auber enable the smoker to cook at higher temps?
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

johnnytex

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
Will the Auber enable the smoker to cook at higher temps?

Yes. If you bypass the controller.
Tex From Ennis, TX