Author Topic: 2nd salmon  (Read 2941 times)

TheLocNar

2nd salmon
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
Just a single piece just short of a pound. No motivation for overnight seasoning. I went with honey and the salmon rub I came up with that has salt/pepper/brown sugar/cumin.

Applewood and my #2 at 235. Pulled salmon at 132 degrees. Absolutely perfect and juicy. While seasoning was mostly on the surface, that's something I like. A nice profile with a touch of wood smoke, seasoning, and the salmon itself.

Don't see why I'd prepare salmon any other way now, maybe with slight variations. But the basic method is perfect for me.
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 2nd salmon
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
I like my salmon on the sweet side so I brush with a brown sugar and maple syrup paste with 10 - 15 minutes to finish.  It gives the fillet a nice, shiny glaze too. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

wmeister1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
I have to say that I am now in the 220+ camp now.
Hot smoked salmon.. I have done a few..

I read a post that said to do it at 170 and that did not work for my #2 at all.  It took 4+ hours in the cold weather of 40 degrees. No need for that noise.

Crank it up higher to 220 or so and pull it at 140 and tent it for a half hour and it will be great for hot smoked salmon.  I get my fish from SAMs and use maple wood about 2.5 to 2.75 oz.  It may be a bit much so you may wish to go to 1.5 or 2.0, but my family like it kind of smokey.  Maple and the brown sugar makes it a bit sweet.

I see no reason to smoke hot salmon for more than 2 hours. 

Cold smoking is a different cook though. You will need to go very low and smoke for many hours below 70-80F.  Yes, it can take a day, so sit back and experiment with the salt cure and smoke.  I have to say that the cold smoke is the best in my opinion.

Bill.

TheLocNar

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish