Author Topic: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success  (Read 17746 times)

Barrel99

Re: First attempt at smoked salmon was a success
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
Yeah, didn't realize it came from China until I got it home.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 04:56:40 AM »
"As you know...it's all a matter of taste. I'm glad you tried both. As I was writing this, my wife brought in an add from a local market. Wild Alaskan salmon from the Yukon River. Regularly 7.99 lb on sale for $3.99. Will be checking that out tomorrow."

Arnie is you know I'm just across the alligator Alley from you and I was wondering which store has that salmon on sale  maybe they have it in Naples also. my wife also is a big salmon fan.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:52 AM »
Living in Florida we have some great fish options, but when I want something special I order from a family business in Alaska.

I really like their Tiger Prawns, they are 3-4 to the pound and they are sweeter and taste better than lobster.
http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/shellfish.htm#Black_Tiger_Prawns

Link to their salmon.
http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/fresh-alaska-salmon.htm

Everything I have tried from them is great, getting ready to place another order in a few weeks.

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 07:13:02 AM »
Ralph, the store is Penn Dutch. There are only 2 of them, both near me. Margate and Hollywood. It does say frozen and it is in a cry-o-vac, so I will check it out.

Greg, tiger prawns are amazing. They are also expensive. The same store above has them for $12.99 lb. but not nearly as big as Great Alaska. They are good...like lobster. For me though, $30/lb for anything is pretty steep. 2-3 / lb must be huge.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:15:44 AM »
Living in Florida we have some great fish options, but when I want something special I order from a family business in Alaska.

I really like their Tiger Prawns, they are 3-4 to the pound and they are sweeter and taste better than lobster.

Link to their salmon.

Everything I have tried from them is great, getting ready to place another order in a few weeks.

Greg
Very tempting, do you suppose they would have a $3.99 sale? LOL

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »

Link to their salmon.

Greg

Ralph,

They are not cheap, but you can count on fresh.

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
Ralph, the store is Penn Dutch. There are only 2 of them, both near me. Margate and Hollywood. It does say frozen and it is in a cry-o-vac, so I will check it out.

Greg, tiger prawns are amazing. They are also expensive. The same store above has them for $12.99 lb. but not nearly as big as Great Alaska. They are good...like lobster. For me though, $30/lb for anything is pretty steep. 2-3 / lb must be huge.
Thanks Arnie,
How bout that! We come from PA Dutch country (Wife born in Lebanon PA). I'll have to stop in a Penn Dutch store if/when I ever get over that way again..  :)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »

That is a great price, I would buy 5-6 lb vacuum seal and freeze!

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »

Link to their salmon.

Greg

Ralph,

They are not cheap, but you can count on fresh.

Greg
I'm sure it is. My favorite is Halibut and they sell that also: Boneless & Skinless Petite Alaska Halibut Fillets   $31.95 lb.

I'll have to bust open the piggy bank..  :)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42:34 AM »
Ralph,

I know it sounds like a lot of money, but I figure if I went out to dinner I would spend 3-4 times a much. I feel the same way about steaks, I buy prime from Costco.

Also realize we don't eat this way every night :)

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
Here is the salmon at $3.99/lb. I bought 4 packages. The fish guy said they overbought so were getting rid of it in this 2 day sale. He said it's always $7.99/lb otherwise. Looks good. I will try it soon. I just made some the other day and we are still eating that.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
It looks good and the price is right.

I think this weekend I am going to smoke some fresh grouper.

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »
Here is the salmon at $3.99/lb. I bought 4 packages. The fish guy said they overbought so were getting rid of it in this 2 day sale. He said it's always $7.99/lb otherwise. Looks good. I will try it soon. I just made some the other day and we are still eating that.
Really good deal Arnie.. My kind of bargain.  :)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
At that price I would have filled the shopping cart.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »
Some people did Brian. We don't have an extra freezer so it just wasn't possible. Especially since it is already full of other meats waiting to be smoked.