Author Topic: Eskimo Candy  (Read 4608 times)

Halfcocked

• Mind if I smoke?
Eskimo Candy
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
I've gotten a lot of good ideas from this forum in the past few weeks, so I thought I'd try to contribute something. Here's a recipe that has recently become one of my favorites.

Eskimo Candy – This is a dry-cure method for preparing Salmonid fish that is halfway between traditional smoked salmon and jerky. It should be both sweet and salty. Saltier than regular smoked salmon, but more sweet and tender than jerky. The final product should have a dry texture on the outside, but still contain all of the essential fats and oils of the fish, so it is juicy, almost buttery, on the inside. It also has low refrigeration requirements and makes a good take-along for camping, hiking, hunting etc., provided it is sealed right. I do not recommend making a large quantity of this unless you have a vacuum sealer.

Salmon or Steelhead filets, skin on or off
-For best results, choose filets that have good, consistent fat distribution.

Dry cure:
•   2 parts Brown Sugar to 1 part Sea Salt
•   Mix thoroughly so salt and sugar are evenly distributed
•   1 average filet will require approximately 1 cup of sea salt and 2 cups of brown sugar(packed), so make enough to cover.
•   The sugar is the most important part of this cure.

Glaze
•   Maple Syrup – apply to fish with brush hourly while smoking
•   Honey or Birch Syrup can also be used

Wood
•   Alder is preferred
•   Maple or Apple also work well.

Cut filets into strips approximately 1 inch wide.
You may want to trim any parts that are thin as they will pick up a lot of salt.
Gently roll strips in cure and place in a plastic or glass container leaving ½ inch gap between strips.
Use remaining cure to fill in between gaps and cover the top of the strips.
If you are using skin-on filets, place in the container skin side down.
If you have enough strips to layer more on top of the first row, make sure there is a layer of cure between the strips.
Cover and cure in refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
More than 12 hours will likely be too salty for most folks
You should notice that quite a bit of water has been pulled from the fish at this point.
Remove from cure and rinse well with water, removing any remaining cure sticking to the fish.
Place strips on a rack or cookie sheet and let dry for about 2 hours or until a decent pellicle has formed.
This can be sped up with the use of a box fan set on low.
Smoke strips at 140 degrees F for 1-2 hours.
Begin glazing with Maple syrup, Honey, or birch syrup after the first hour.
Depending on the smoker, ambient temperature, and desired doneness, you may want to use a cold-smoke adapter if your smoker has one.
Increase temp to 150 for 2-4 hours, making sure the temperature of the fish does not get too high or all of the fats and oils will render out.
Continue glazing strips at least once per hour.
Finish off at 160-180 for 1 hour or until the desired doneness has been reached(my personal preference is more towards a cold smoked finish).
Glaze one final time and rest for approximately 2 hours at room temperature.
Vacuum seal in 4-8oz. portions (or sized appropriately for snacking).

Sorry for the lack of pics... I will add pics next time I make this.
Jamey from Damascus, MD

Smokin-It Model 3, Bradley 6-Rack, Char-Broil Longhorn

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Eskimo Candy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »
Jamey,
It sounds very good and like something I would do on my old smoker.  After all the warnings from the veterans around here, I've seen the difficulty of doing things in these smokers that involve opening the door. i.e. your regular glazing pattern.  When you get to try this on the new smoker, let me know how you would compare to your previous experiences.  I've decided to keep my old smoker for the things that like to be tended to and utilize the new smoker for long, untended smokes. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Halfcocked

• Mind if I smoke?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
This was intended as a 'brand neutral' general recipe. My very first smoke on the SI3 was salmon filets using the same glazing process and I was happy with the results, despite using a little too much wood. My old smoker wasn't working at the time. That was before I joined this forum and read the numerous warnings about opening the box(and about using too much wood). Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself. My guess is that the lower temperature requirements for salmon allowed me to open the box for regular glazing without causing any problems. I haven't done the Eskimo Candy on the SI3 yet, but I'm guessing again that smaller strips should be even less affected. I will say however, the racks on the SI3 are extremely unwieldy when you are attempting to quickly remove them and shut the door of the smoker. Plus they are bigger than the cookie sheets I set them on top of while glazing to catch the drips of syrup, resulting in a sticky mess. I may start using some smaller basket racks on top of the SI3 racks, just so I can handle them a little easier.

I will post pics next go round.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:06:44 PM by Halfcocked »
Jamey from Damascus, MD

Smokin-It Model 3, Bradley 6-Rack, Char-Broil Longhorn

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:16:02 PM »
You might like the Bradley Racks.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!