Author Topic: Salmon fillets  (Read 2492 times)

johners

Salmon fillets
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
So, I smoked up some Salmon fillets today on my Model #2 - first attempt at smoking fish. Set the smoker to 165'f with 2oz of wood in a chunk. The temp of the salmon rose fairly quickly until about 120'f or so, then slowed down dramatically. After about 3+hrs or more the temperature was reading 143'f, but didnt appear to be climbing any higher - not much steam/smoke was coming out of the smoker, so I decided to check on them. They looked a bit tough and overcooked, so I pulled them. They were indeed a little dry/overcooked. Not sure if I did something wrong or not? If I cedar plank smoke these same fillets on a grill they come out nice and juicy. Additionally, the block of wood was charred but not burned all the way to ash - probably about half of it was remaining. Perhaps I should have used chips or broken up the single chunk?
Paul from Toronto, ON

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Salmon fillets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
For low temp smokes, I would use chips. Or at least chop your chunks down into smaller pieces.

I would also put your wood toward the back if your smoke box as it is hotter toward the rear of the smoke box.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Salmon fillets
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
Tuna steak in on the list.  Recipe I found said 250 degrees for 30 or 40 mins. (I guess you can eat tuna undercooked) sushi.  If I screw up. 

Quite the opposite of 3+ hours at 160.   

Did you try again at a shorter time period? 

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA