Author Topic: Auber and SmokinIt physcial configuration  (Read 3126 times)

iamimdoc

Auber and SmokinIt physcial configuration
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
I have the Model 3, now with Auber device.  I have set it for 225

2 Questions:

With nothing in smoker: pretty much can nail 225
With ribs(1or 2 racks) or pork butt - setting of 225  never quite makes it to 225 - more like 215 - 220.

Is this expected behavior?

Second question:
With short cord on Auber and relatively short cables on Auber probes, I see no way NOT to use an extension cord if one has an overhang on house (where the Smokinit resides) that you don't want to smoke up - thus one must move stuff out from under the overhang (but would still like to keep the Auber out of the weather) and use an extension cord. 

Anyone else's comments appreciated

Thanks

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber and SmokinIt physcial configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:39:07 PM »
I am going to say that it is typical since the Aubers are set up by Auber for Bradley smokers. And the meat is sucking up the heat being put out.  If you go to the site, for the model Auber you have there are manuals available for trouble shooting and use. If the results from smoking are not satisfactory, you might want to do an auto tune.  The instructions that came with your controller explains how.  It is important to write down the PID values currently on your controller before doing an auto tune just in case you want to go back to the factory setting. You will also need to have a dummy load simulating meat (mass and moisture).  A disposable foil pan with damp, not wet, sand should do the trick (I think Auber uses a rice cooker as an example). Anyway, 5 to 7 lbs should do it.

Use the search feature on the SI Forum for auto tune and learn from those who have gone through the process.  Saves a lot of trial and error.  Good Luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus