Author Topic: New model 3 with a question.  (Read 1841 times)

jstorf

• Jeff from Indiana/Arkansas/Connecticut
New model 3 with a question.
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Hey all!  I have had my model 3 for about a month and LOVE IT!  I have a lot of experience smoking with a charcoal smoker and a Char Griller Duo with the smoke box.  I have to say I love the model 3 the best!!  One question I have that I see a lot of throughout this forum is how much everyone seems to brine.  I only would brine poultry but I see that several brine everything.  What gives??
If at first you don't succeed, feed it to the dog and start over.

Experienced charcoal smoker and Char Griller Duo with smoke box but will never go back now that I have the Model 3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: New model 3 with a question.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
Welcome to the party!  Yep, once you get a taste of Lazy Q, the charcoal and stick burners tend to get lonely! ;)

Brining is not just for poultry anymore!  I started brining pork butts last year, and will never look back.  It makes an incredible difference in the moisture and flavor of the pulled pork.  Many even brine briskets, which also benefit a lot from the process.

Here's a little post I put together on different types of brines, and how they work:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

Since brining is essentially a chemical reaction between salt and protein molecules in the meat, just about any meat can benefit from the process.  Do a little reading on it, and don't be afraid to get outside the brining bucket!  I resisted trying it for a long time, but now use the technique on poultry, pork and beef!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jstorf

• Jeff from Indiana/Arkansas/Connecticut
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
Holy Smoke!!  ;)  I've got a lot of learning to do.  Just when you thought you knew it all!!
If at first you don't succeed, feed it to the dog and start over.

Experienced charcoal smoker and Char Griller Duo with smoke box but will never go back now that I have the Model 3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
It'll open up a whole new world, J! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
Welcome from Southeast Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle