Author Topic: PID not regulating as usual  (Read 1505 times)

Metrakay

PID not regulating as usual
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
3D WiFi smoker is not maintaining temp of 225 +/- a couple degrees. 

I put a sirloin tip roast on a couple of hours ago, and set it to 150 for 20 minutes then 225 until IT hits 135.  It did the first part as usual, then ramped up to about 220, then shot up to 249 and then dropped to 209 and has climbed back to 224.  This wouldn’t worry me if it weren’t a PID controlled box.  All previous smokes have maintained the set temp plus or minus one or two degrees.

Now it’s up to 228... should I be concerned? 1hr 42 minutes on step 2.

Thanks!

MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: PID not regulating as usual
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
Has it stabilized between 225 and 230? If it remains fluctuating all over the place, shoot Steve an email with screen shots.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:15:51 PM »
I only smoke at one setting and do not use programming so I may be way off here. Just thinking out load but would it be good to test at a set temp with no program to see if there is any swings AND, could this issue possibly be resolved by an Auto Tune?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Drayken

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
Seems like every time I see big fluctuations, when it's all done, I find ashes for one of my wood blocks. I'm starting to think the wood catching of fire, instead of just smoldering is what's actually causing the bad fluctuations. I started using 3 layers of foil, to help keep the wood from turning to Ash.
CJ. 3D wifi.

Metrakay

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  I really do appreciate it.  I’m sorry I didn’t get back to this earlier. 

In my worry about the temp swing, I forgot I was running an experiment.  I used the chip rack and no foil. 

When I was able to look at the wood, one piece was ash and the other was checkered charcoal. So, I’m guessing the initial temp swing was caused by combustion,  and the subsequent drop was the element not heating long enough for the box to drop maybe compounded by wind chill (windy and 45, if I remember correctly).  After the bump and drop, it leveled out at 250+/-3.   The previous two smokes were small turkeys, one for a neighbor which came out so well I had to do one for myself. The biggest problem with the turkey was I ran out of smoked turkey before we tired of it.😁

But the roast was perfect.  I took it off at 134, served it hot that night and the next, and sliced the rest thin for sandwiches and thick to dice for hash.

I forgot to get pictures until I sliced it.  Here it is, ready for avocado, red pepper/eggplant spread, onion and butter lettuce on homemade brown bread.

Next time, back to foil, but I’m going to leave the chip rack in place.

MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman