Author Topic: Prices  (Read 3697 times)

Stevegardner

Prices
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:32:59 AM »
Is it my imagination or did prices get bumped a tad? Looks like some of the models got bumped upward. I get it, wanting to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:17:28 AM »
Yeah... they're definitely up a bit.  Trade wars will do that...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »
Still a lot of smoker and reliability for the money!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Stevegardner

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:58:12 AM »
I went back and forth between Smokin Tex and Smokin it for a long time. I had a Smokin Tex for about 15 years and it died. I think I am ordering another of those. The service here seems top notch. But, I have read some complaints recently about workmanship, problems in the firebox with flare ups, temp swings, etc. Service was outstanding, but I was seeing complaints I never saw with Smokin Tex or Cookshack. It’s been a tough decision. I was ready to pull the string on a model 3, but they were out of stock. Now, they are in stock but prices are raised. At the end of the day, I most likely make great food with either, just have concerns that aren’t going away.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
I think the #3 is still a better choice because there are 2 latches on the door and the depth allows full length racks of ribs to be smoked.
I have a Smokin Tex 1400 and a Smokin-It #3 and like the #3 much better. I think the prices are comparable when you add the shipping costs.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Stevegardner

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
I think the #3 is still a better choice because there are 2 latches on the door and the depth allows full length racks of ribs to be smoked.
I have a Smokin Tex 1400 and a Smokin-It #3 and like the #3 much better. I think the prices are comparable when you add the shipping costs.
Thanks for the reply. I can get the ST 1400 at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $525. The Smokin It Model #3 is now $713. Amazon has the ST1400 for $589 with some wood included, free delivery. You are correct that #3 has a bit more room and double latches. But, it is not really close in price any longer.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 03:38:48 PM »
I went back and forth between Smokin Tex and Smokin it for a long time. I had a Smokin Tex for about 15 years and it died. I think I am ordering another of those. The service here seems top notch. But, I have read some complaints recently about workmanship, problems in the firebox with flare ups, temp swings, etc. Service was outstanding, but I was seeing complaints I never saw with Smokin Tex or Cookshack. It’s been a tough decision. I was ready to pull the string on a model 3, but they were out of stock. Now, they are in stock but prices are raised. At the end of the day, I most likely make great food with either, just have concerns that aren’t going away.

Steve - You gotta do what you gotta do.  It is your money.  This forum is much more active than the forums at CS and ST so it stands to reason that there would be more input and comments, good and bad.  The SI smokers are well built but like anything made by man, there will always be a clinker once in a while regarding workmanship.  Read the FAQ at ST regarding temp swings; they have them as well.  Nature of the analog beast.  Flareup in the woodbox?  The wood is sitting directly above a screaming hot element which is much hotter than the temp you set (which reads the box temp).  I can see the wood catching fire if it is tinder dry.  ST is not immune to this and neither is CS; you just don't see much concern. Here are two links: 1 - is a chart comparing smokers size for size, spec for spec;  feature for feature, warranty for warranty, prices subject to change. The second addresses one of your concerns that I pulled from the ST forum. 
https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SmokerCompare1.pdf
http://forums.smokintex.com/showthread.php?549-New-1400-Temp-swing-question&highlight=wood+fire

Enjoy your smoker no matter where you get it.
Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

pappabear

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
  I just bought the #2 about a month ago, and am very pleased with it. Plus my brother has had a #3 for about 5 years and said it's the best smoker he's had by far. Just saying...
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I can get the ST 1400 at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $525. The Smokin It Model #3 is now $713.

The Smokin-It equivalent of the ST 1400 is the #2 as they both have the same capacity and rack sizes.  The #3 is an upgrade with much longer racks and higher overall capacity that will allow you do full briskets and ribs without cutting or cramming.

The #2 delivered (in the continental U.S.) is $505, which is cheaper than the ST1400.  You also get 4 racks/shelves instead of 3, three years of warranty instead of two, two latches instead of one, and an 800 watt element instead of 700 watt.  It probably doesn't matter for your use, but the Smokin-It is also NSF certified.  So...  with an apples to apples comparison, the Smokin-It easily wins by my analysis.  Please do let me know if you've spotted something I misstated or overlooked.

The extra $209 for the #3 is simply for all of the extra stainless steel (deeper smoker, deeper racks, etc.) and the extra shipping because it's heavier than the #2.  Is it worth the extra money over the #2?  That's totally subjective based on your needs and preferences.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

pappabear

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »
  I might add that on the smoking it, the racks are stainless steel.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
CS has the nickel plated racks standard and stainless as an option. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Stevegardner

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
Adding to this, I have a bunch of Amazon cards. ST is on Amazon with free shipping. SI and CS are on there, but both have shipping. So, if I wanted to put these Amazon gift cards to use, ST wins there...Not certain I will do that, but it would make sense.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »
Adding to this, I have a bunch of Amazon cards. ST is on Amazon with free shipping. SI and CS are on there, but both have shipping. So, if I wanted to put these Amazon gift cards to use, ST wins there...Not certain I will do that, but it would make sense.

With shipping, that makes the Smokin-It #2 $557 vs. $538 for the ST1400 from Sportsman's Warehouse (they have an $8 shipping surcharge).  So the SI is $19 higher via Amazon, but you still get the extra rack, extra year of warranty, etc.  You also wouldn't get to use your Amazon gift cards on Sportsman's Warehouse.  This means you'd need to get the ST1400 on Amazon where it costs $32 ($589) more than the SI and you give up all of the extras that come with the SI.

No matter how you slice it, I'm still not seeing a compelling argument for the ST1400.  I actually live 30 minutes from the SmokinTex headquarters...  almost impulse bought from them until I did the comparisons and just couldn't justify it.

Stevegardner

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »

With shipping, that makes the Smokin-It #2 $557 vs. $538 for the ST1400 from Sportsman's Warehouse (they have an $8 shipping surcharge).  So the SI is $19 higher via Amazon, but you still get the extra rack, extra year of warranty, etc.  You also wouldn't get to use your Amazon gift cards on Sportsman's Warehouse.  This means you'd need to get the ST1400 on Amazon where it costs $32 ($589) more than the SI and you give up all of the extras that come with the SI.

No matter how you slice it, I'm still not seeing a compelling argument for the ST1400.  I actually live 30 minutes from the SmokinTex headquarters...  almost impulse bought from them until I did the comparisons and just couldn't justify it.

The most compelling reason is that I had the ST before and had a great track record with it. I also got a bit of heartburn reading recent threads on here and some posts on FB. Like I said earlier, I was ready in December. But the model I wanted was out of stock. When it was back in stock, the sale was over and I read the threads in question. So, those fac5ors turned me a4ound to go back to ST....

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
The most compelling reason is that I had the ST before and had a great track record with it. I also got a bit of heartburn reading recent threads on here and some posts on FB. Like I said earlier, I was ready in December. But the model I wanted was out of stock. When it was back in stock, the sale was over and I read the threads in question. So, those fac5ors turned me a4ound to go back to ST....

I can respect that...  if I hadn't seen Steve take such good care of folks anytime there is a problem I'd be more wary.