Author Topic: How do you cold smoke?  (Read 2187 times)

TJ

How do you cold smoke?
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:32:13 PM »
Want to try making some bacon in the near future. How do you cold smoke in the #3? What temperature is considered good for cold smoking?
Crossville Tennessee

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you cold smoke?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
TJ - Have you used the search feature?  I don't do any cold smoking so I cannot offer much other than try the search feature for how others do it and what type set-up they have.  Good luck!  Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TJ

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
Before I posted I did a search for cold smoke and nothing came up. After I posted and do a search my post appears.
So yes, I did search before posting
Crossville Tennessee

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
My understanding of cold smoke process is that smoking is done with no appreciable heat applied while meat is being smoked for a period of days. The meat must be cured, preferably using nitrates/nitrites as well as salt.
I have cool smoked bacon in my #3 using an Amazin pellet tray and cold smoke shelf. But I also hot smoke the bacon after 4-6 hours cold smoke to 140 deg to make sure the bacon is food safe.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
Try a search for...
cheese
lox
smoke plate
and see what you come up with.

Also you might want to follow the threads on "External Smoke Generator" under "Smokin-it Announcements," you might find some additional search words and information.
You can also read up on amazenproducts.com, I'm sure there is a lot of information there on cold smoking.

Hope that helps you at least a little. All I cold smoke is Cheese!

This is on the Smoking-it website under Cold Smoke Plate...
Cold Smoke Plate - All Model #3 & #3.5 Smokers
Smoked gouda or some smoked cheddar, maybe smoked scallops?
This plate is designed to allow you to smoke cheese and other low temperature products with a minimum of heat
The cold smoke plate is placed above the firebox
Set heat control at level just high enough to produce smoke
We also recommend placing Miss TK's Katchin' pan load with ice on top of the cold smoke plate to help reduce temperatures inside the smoker
Made of stainless steal with one inch insulation
Fits Model #3, #3D, #3D-WiFi, #3.5D & #3.5D-WiFi
Free shipping in lower 48 - USA
Do not place in dishwasher!!
See instructions on our website
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:18:30 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Norwester

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
Want to try making some bacon in the near future. How do you cold smoke in the #3? What temperature is considered good for cold smoking?
A lot of us use an A-MAZE-N tray burning pellets or dust. Wet down your pellets, crumble them into saw dust, dry in the oven at 250* or so. The dust will burn cooler than pellets and you can get up to 12 hrs or more out of a single tray full. I use the tray for smoking cheese and up to 50* outside it stays under 80* in the smoker. The tray works better than the tubes in Smokin-It smokers.
https://www.amazenproducts.com/

Jeff from central Oregon

TJ

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:42 AM »
Thanks. Starting to get some good info I can use.
Crossville Tennessee

kona77

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
TJ-  I am going to try smoking my first pork belly tomorrow. There is a bacon thread on this site that has a lot of good tips on curing and smoking to make great bacon. Just took the pork belly out of the fridge this morning and will be smoking tomorrow. I will post an update on my experience. Will be 20 degrees in Wisc. tomorrow so I just plan on using a tip to start my 3-D at a high temp to get the wood going (using chips). Will then add the pork belly and cold smoke at 100 for 2-3 hours. Will then turn up to 200 and smoke the pork belly to an internal temp of 150.   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

kona77

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
 TJ-  Just following up on my bacon smoke from yesterday. I followed Pork Belly's process for cold smoking and it worked out great. It was a nice day (temp's 25-30 degrees) for this process and I started with 6oz on apple chips. Turned my 3D to 250 to get the chips going.. Only took 10-15 minutes to get some good smoke going. Put in my pork belly and turned the temp down to 100. Let it smoke for 2.5 hours and then added some more chips..Increased to 200 and waited for the belly to hit 150 and then pulled.. Easy process to get a cold smoke without adding a cold smoke plate/ice or accessories like the A-Maze-N type product.     
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..