Author Topic: Happy and upset, just got new 3D wifi.  (Read 4401 times)

Drayken

Happy and upset, just got new 3D wifi.
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:16:15 AM »
Well, delivery was delayed 2 days. But it finally arrived, and I excitedly unpacked and got things set up. I have two concerns. The small one, is that the heating element is way off center. But the major concern, is that there is real poor construction on the back, bottom left panel. As you can see, there is a good size gap, even exposing the insulation. I don't like how moisture and mold could maybe get up in there. I have yet to test to see if heat leaks from it. I've emailed and await a response. I'm not sure what to do. I do not like the idea of having to repack this monster, send it back, and wait for another one, and hope everything is perfect on the next one.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:50:42 AM by Drayken »
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Happy and upset, just got new 3D wifi.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
Steve will respond.  He always does.  Did you send him the photos?  I would refrain from using it until you and Steve have the opportunity to discuss it and come to a solution. He can always be reached by phone as well.  Repacking and returning it may be a pain but if that is what eventually is decided so be it. The element being off center as it is won't hurt performance.  The gap is unsightly.  If it were me, I would hammer the gap closed as best as I could and mix up a batch of JB Weld and seal it off.  But that is just me. Steve will work with you.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:58:36 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
Yep, pics sent. I'll call if I don't hear back from him in a little bit. I had to jump through hoops, to get delivery of this. (No one home, had to pick up at FedEx Depot, borrow truck, etc...) Returning would not be fun. :(   Not to mention, my luck of sale ending 2 days before I ordered, then new sale started the day I got delivery...
CJ. 3D wifi.

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Yep, pics sent. I'll call if I don't hear back from him in a little bit. I had to jump through hoops, to get delivery of this. (No one home, had to pick up at FedEx Depot, borrow truck, etc...) Returning would not be fun. :(   Not to mention, my luck of sale ending 2 days before I ordered, then new sale started the day I got delivery...
Sounds like you have a gremlin hanging around you that doesn't want you to be a happy smoker :(
Good luck and I'm sure that when it is all done you'll be enjoying some great meals.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

pappabear

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
From the pictures I would use a block of wood and hammer it back to shape. I know it sucks, but the first ding is already one there now. Enjoy your smoker.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
Damn... huge bummer.  :(  I don't blame you at all for your concern about that not being sealed.  If it were up high on a side joint I'd be less concerned.  I don't think it'll be a problem for the insulation properties, but the idea of grease getting in there is pretty yucky.

If it were me in your situation, I'd probably talk to Steve about a meaningful discount and then fix it with JB Weld as someone else suggested.  That would safely seal it up and soothe my hurt from getting a not quite perfect smoker.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Drayken

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
From the pictures I would use a block of wood and hammer it back to shape. I know it sucks, but the first ding is already one there now. Enjoy your smoker.

No way would I hammer the leg. It's spot welded. My luck, I'd break that weld. I'm not gonna do service labor on a new $1,000 item. And like many have said, the customer service here, seems to be great. Steve got back with me, and we're working things out, so hopefully it all goes well.
CJ. 3D wifi.

pappabear

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Was just a thought. Hope it works out for you.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

Drayken

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 11:57:39 PM »
He responded promptly. Sending a replacement. Hopefully all will be well with the new one.
CJ. 3D wifi.

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »
He responded promptly. Sending a replacement. Hopefully all will be well with the new one.

Sorry you are having to deal with the hassel but you have to say that is awesome customer service.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Steve treats his customers like family.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:37 PM »

That's good to hear...  I think you're the second person recently to not be completely thrilled with what they received.  I hope this are both isolated incidents.  If it's happening more to establish a pattern he may have to have a talk with his manufacturer and/or establish some kind of pre-check before shipping them out.  I'm sure he'll figure it out as it will get expensive (both money and reputation) if there is a quality control issue.

Still feel bad for you... sucks to not get to break in your baby and it sounds like it wasn't easy to get the first one.  :(  Here's hoping you get one in perfect condition this time around and that you fall in love with it as so many of us have ours.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NVW-SSV

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »
I'll add that I had a very small problem with a wire rack, and Steve took care of me ASAP with a replacement rack via Fedex, delivered three days later.  Perfect customer service and reinforces my decision to buy Smokin-It!

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

Stevegardner

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
I hate reading this, close to pulling the trigger on one. I have to agree, I would never consider taking a hammer to a brand new smoker. The customer service seems very impressive, quality control might need work.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 10:46:16 PM »
Getting a bum smoker is rare. But it does happen on occasion and if Steve is notified after the customer inspects it he takes care of it pretty quick.  Poor workmanship should be easily spotted, but again it is rare.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus