Author Topic: Smoke leaking from door, is this normal?  (Read 1814 times)

Drayken

Smoke leaking from door, is this normal?
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
I've read and saw vids of how smoke can leak from the front door, is this normal? I was hoping to use the smoker in the garage. I was going to put a vent, from the smoke vent, to window, but obviously that won't work if the door leaks.

So I guess I have a second question, if I have the smoker service up right under a window, and have a window fan, set to exhaust, do u think it would be able to pull the smoke out?
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoke leaking from door, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
Leaking smoke is pretty much normal for a while. My Cookshack leaked as did the Smokin-it 3D.  Over time, the leaking stopped as residue built up. I was not concerned since the smoker sits outside all year long. As for setting the smoker next to a window with a fan, that should work but it might also pull the smoke too fast for it to work it's magic on the meat. Cross ventilation might be a better option but smoking outdoors is the best method.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
Thx. I did read that it seems to go away after awhile, due to the residue. I doubt the fan would draw too much smoke, it would be high enough over the vent, to only pull what has already drifted up and away from smoker. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Sarge, thank you for ur help. I'm a potential new customer, and I tend to over analyze and research ALOT, but do so, so I won't have regrets once purchased.
CJ. 3D wifi.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
Old Sarge is spot on.   My #2 had a little smoke coming out of the side of the door when I first started using it, but over time it will be minimal.  When I smoke in the garage, I put the #2 by the door with the door up and most of the time the smoke just goes out through the garage door.  If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, then I use a floor fan at the front of the garage to blow the smoke out.  Seems to work fine.

You can't go wrong with a smokin-it smoker, so just pull the trigger!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Drayken

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
I'm hoping to be able to smoke completely in the garage, with door shut, even for overnight smokes. I don't like the idea of leaving my smoker outide, unattended at night. My house is on a corner, and is angled, as to the back and front are easily visible, from the road. I don't have a back porch, etc...

I ultimately would like to vent the smoke like this person did.
CJ. 3D wifi.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
Some days the doors leak a little, some days they leak a lot. I believe it depends on how clean, the weather and the wood. Best garage set up I have seen is the guy that mounted a kitchen exhaust hood, a short distance above the smoker.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 05:19:27 PM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
I LOVE smoking in my garage ... year 'round :-) https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6814.0
There will always be a little smoke from the door, but it's not enough to cause an issue ... just makes the garage smell yummy :-)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:59:38 PM by jpowell »
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana