Author Topic: 3D WiFi initial impressions  (Read 1983 times)

HokieMike

3D WiFi initial impressions
« on: December 19, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
My 3D arrived about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've done a pork butt, whole chicken, and turkey breast. All turned out great. I didn't want to wait an extra day to brine the butt, so I just injected it. Since the chicken and turkey were already injected with a solution, I didn't do anything to them either (didn't want to over salt). Chicken didn't need it, but I'll do something with the turkey next time. The 3D with WiFi is awesome. I go out to put the meat in and take it out. The rest of the time I just look at my phone and get the smoker and meat temp, whether I'm laying on the couch or out running errands. The controller keeps temp within +/- 2 degrees. I did have one hick-up while smoking the turkey where the temp dropped to 230 for some reason. I wouldn't have noticed it but the app gives you a temp graph. I debated getting an analog version to keep it simple, but I'm glad I didn't. The ability to check on it and make changes to the temp where ever I'm at is worth the extra money. The controller is not that intuitive to set, but you can do it all easily with the app. While the controller stores six-six step programs, the app only brings up the one running. As soon as you turn the power on, it starts the last program used. The only thing I need now is some GOOD wood. I bought some from the box stores that's so dry it won't read on my moisture meter. I've been soaking it and getting a good flavor, but I think it could be better.
Mike in Southwest VA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 3D WiFi initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Mike - Good to hear you are enjoying your 3D WiFi.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

HokieMike

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
Just smoked some oysters on the half shell. Awesome! I could eat those all day. Going to do a rib roast for Christmas dinner.
Mike in Southwest VA

Stevegardner

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:56:07 PM »
I am absolutely torn on whether to go 3D WiFi or just wait for the analog 3s to be back in stock. Buying one or the other, just conflicted. I love tech, gadgets, etc and like some of the offerings WiFi would bring. Another piece of me is resistant to adding a new component to my smoking that might need repair. I best get it figured out soon...

kona77

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
 In case you have not seen this data on the site, I would recommend going to a company called Smokinlicious to
get quality wood with the correct moisture content. I ordered from them when I purchased my 3D and have been happy with their wood.
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Stevegardner

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »
In case you have not seen this data on the site, I would recommend going to a company called Smokinlicious to
get quality wood with the correct moisture content. I ordered from them when I purchased my 3D and have been happy with their wood.
. Good lookin products, just checked them out. They don’t offer Pecan and I prefer using that. I might try their cherry out though..

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:05:01 AM »
I had communicated with them about pecan and was suggested to use sugar maple, as it is the same family. I’ve had good luck with it. As with the other varieties I’ve ordered.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear