Author Topic: Model 3 Smoke Fuel  (Read 1582 times)

tomd8

Model 3 Smoke Fuel
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
I thought I would share this test for any new owners like myself wondering about different fuels in their #3 smoker.  I saw an old post about using pellets but I thought I’d test for myself.   I just completed a short smoke with 4 chicken thighs w drumsticks.  In this smoke I wanted to test if chips and pellets would also burn well along with a chunk.  My curiosity is driven due to a supply of pellets and chips from using a prior smoker and pellet tube that I’d hate to see go to waste.  In this smoke I used 1 cherry wood chunk, pecan and hickory chips and a handful of blended pellets (hickory, apple, maple).  I loosely wrapped them in foil with some air holes and placed them in the wood tray.  Bottom line is the chicken turned out great and I was pleasantly surprised to see all 3 fuel types burned completely leaving charcoal behind.  At no time was the smoke too heavy (no bitter chicken taste) but light smoke did last for most of the smoke.  I’ve attached a pic of the wood remains for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:52:30 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief