Author Topic: Overnight lows projected at -15F But I am smoking anyway!  (Read 17402 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Overnight lows projected at -15F But I am smoking anyway!
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
Just a quick update.

This morning (7:30) the IT was at 183, I went to work until noon and when I got home found it sitting right at 201. Perfect! So, I turned the smoker down to 140. I plan on taking it out around 4:00 to wrap and put in the cooler with the towels. Should be perfect timing for when the boys start coming over for poker.

Pics to come later.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
Can't make the poker game, Gregg!  I bet the pulled pork sammies will be fantastic, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »
My butt hit a max IT of 203 before I lowered the temp of the smoker to 140. The IT is now down to 165. Should I be pulling it out of the smoker and getting it into the cooler? I was going to wait until 4:00 and then pull at 6:00. But wondering if I should get it out of the smoker now?

Just wanting to make sure it doesn't go down too far on the internal temp.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rickne

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
Personally, I think you made the right call.  I know Tony has has good success "holding" butts in the box.  I haven't been brave enough to try it.  I wrap them and into the cooler they go. 

I actually wrap them heavily in plastic wrap first, then double wrap in foil.  It sacrifices the bark a little, but boy does it stay hot and juicy.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Gregg, it should be fine holding.  The idea of the hold is to keep the temp above the "safe" 145.  Remember, you're no longer trying to cook it, so don't worry about internal temp.  If it gets close to 145 (I usually don't hold them long enough for that), just bump the temp up to 145 so it will maintain a safe temperature.  I believe you'll be fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
Thanks Tony,

I pulled it at 4:00 and it was still at 162. So I should be good.

I have it wrapped and in the cooler until 6:00.

FYI, I have attached a picture of the infamous Fat Volcano that I mentioned in an earlier post. ;) Smells disgusting.  :P
Gregg - Fargo, ND

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I normally pull mine at 203 and double wrap it with heavy duty foil and wrap that in a towel and put in a cooler. I've let it sit for over 4 hours and it was still hot and perfect. Your method sounds fine as well. sounds like a success. what is that "volcano" from? I think I missed the reference.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Good deal, Gregg.  They'll love it, while they're losing money to you. ;)   Good tactic, btw, get them so distracted with incredible Q so they can't think straight!! lol.  The ice volcano sure is pretty, though!  Looks like one of my son's science projects! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Wik

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
Its probably best for me that I didn't make it, my poker skills are a bit lacking and throw in some beer it is downhill fast.  Tend to get too cocky and out of chips early.  If I wasn't busy running kids around last night, I'd probably have stopped by at least for some Q.
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
It was a good night and the pulled pork was raved by all. I forgot to take pics, but the butt turned out great, plus I ended the night up about $50!

At the end of the night, I was only left with a little Ziploc baggy of meat. It "may" be enough for me to try my Papa Murphy's pulled pork BBQ pizza idea. I'm gonna be out of town all week this coming week, but might be able to try next weekend.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Walt

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
I've eaten a pulled pork pizza @ Soulshine Pizza Factory in Oxford, MS that was fabulous!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
I have had BBQ Chicken Pizza from Papa Murphy's that is really good. So, I figure why not just order a Cheese pizza with BBQ sauce and put my own pulled pork topping on before baking. Seems like a no brainer to me. I am excited to try it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
We love Papa Murphy's!  I got a cheese pizza once and loaded it up with my homemade Canadian bacon and some extra cheese.  Man, that was good!
Tony from NW Arkansas