Author Topic: Too Smoky  (Read 4246 times)

joc6820

Too Smoky
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
I've been smoking 2-5 lb. cuts of meat for a few months on a 2D.  I'm using 2-3 ounces of wood chips per smoke, mainly hickory or cherry.  Food is coming out way too smoky, an overpowering taste.  This may be obvious, but is the answer to simply use less chips? Does temp or smoking time or rubs or meat type factor into this?  I like smoked foods, but when all I taste is smoke it's too much.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Too Smoky
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »
First, unless you are doing low temp smokes (under 200 degrees), I would recommend using chunks instead of chips. The chunks will smolder and smoke longer with less chance of combusting. The chips are great for low temp smokes because they start smoking faster because they have some much surface area. But, at higher temps there is a greater chance for them to start on fire. My guess is that your chips are combusting/starting on fire and causing creosote taste instead of the mild smoke taste that you are looking for.

I use chips for jerky and fish that I smoke at low temps. Other than that, my chips stay in storage.

Stay away from the big box store chunks as they are usually WAY too dry. Try out www.smokinlicious.com, www.mainegrillingwoods.com, or www.fruitawood.com for some high-quality smoking wood. My favorite is Smokinlicious.

The type of meat matters as well. For example, chicken can be overpowered quite easily. You may want to go closer to the 1-2 ounce range for chicken, 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes such as ribs/small roasts, and 5-6 ounces for larger pork/beef cuts like Boston Butts and Briskets.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

joc6820

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
Thanks, I ordered some chunks.  I think the chips may have been burning, as you said.  I usually smoke at around 225 to 250.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
First, unless you are doing low temp smokes (under 200 degrees), I would recommend using chunks instead of chips. The chunks will smolder and smoke longer with less chance of combusting. The chips are great for low temp smokes because they start smoking faster because they have some much surface area. But, at higher temps there is a greater chance for them to start on fire. My guess is that your chips are combusting/starting on fire and causing creosote taste instead of the mild smoke taste that you are looking for.

I use chips for jerky and fish that I smoke at low temps. Other than that, my chips stay in storage.

Stay away from the big box store chunks as they are usually WAY too dry. Try out www.smokinlicious.com, www.mainegrillingwoods.com, or www.fruitawood.com for some high-quality smoking wood. My favorite is Smokinlicious.

The type of meat matters as well. For example, chicken can be overpowered quite easily. You may want to go closer to the 1-2 ounce range for chicken, 2-3 ounces for shorter smokes such as ribs/small roasts, and 5-6 ounces for larger pork/beef cuts like Boston Butts and Briskets.

+1

Also you will find your sweet spot for how much smoke, start smaller and then add and then when you start mixing wood again use less. I like smoke taste, but don't want to burp from it!

Greg

es1025

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
+1, use chunks. For ribs and poultry about 2oz, longer smokes like butts or briskets 4-5oz.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Shmokan

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
+1 on the wood chunks.
I have a bag of Cherry chips and a bag of Hickory chunks. If I want to add some Cherry because their chips I pre-soak in water and place in wrapped tin foil with small holes poked in it as to burn slower. I'm down to 1.50 ounces for 3 rack of ribs. Amazes me how little wood these smokers need.
Brad from Wisconsin

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.