Author Topic: 35 Day Dry Aged Choice Angus Rib Eye  (Read 9095 times)

RG

35 Day Dry Aged Choice Angus Rib Eye
« on: April 11, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
So, my friends, it seems that I too have fallen victim to the allure of the dry aged steak. So much so that I had to try it for myself. I bought a nice whole rib eye subprimal and waited patiently for 35 days for it to get all funky.

Plopped it into a Umai bag for 35 days

Unwrapped it

I find it easier to cut into steaks and then trim the funk off of it

I think it's time to do more, no more in the freezer :'(

See it cooked here : Seared Rib Eye
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:20:10 PM by RG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: 35 Day Dry Aged Choice Angus Rib Eye
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »
Hey Jason,

While I have had dry aged steaks, I have not tried the process before.

First where do you buy the Umai bags, I found the following below on Amazon?
UMAi Dry® Ribeye/Striploin Packet

Also if you would not mind sharing what is the process from start to finish!

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Walt

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
Look @ my post in this section on "35 day dry age of whole ribeye". It documents the full process.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Look @ my post in this section on "35 day dry age of whole ribeye". It documents the full process.

Thanks Walt,

I need to do a bit more research, but this looks like a great future project!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:08:01 PM »
Way to go, Jason!  I love the UMAi bags - makes it so easy!

Greg - plenty of threads, in the section, about using these bags.  Here's the first:

21-Day Ribeyes

Walt has taken this to a new level!  Check out all his posts here, and in charcuterie.  He's the man! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
Hey RG. That really looks good. Seems like a lot of work though. I see u went to Restaurant Depot. I like their meats and fish. Where Is yours. Mine is in Pompano Beach.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:20:41 AM »
Hey RG. That really looks good. Seems like a lot of work though. I see u went to Restaurant Depot. I like their meats and fish. Where Is yours. Mine is in Pompano Beach.

There are 3 of them in the Metro Atl area. I go to the one in Atlanta. There is one in Norcross and one in Marietta (been open for about a year, never been to it)

It's not really a lot of work, it's time consuming as far as just the wait. I will say this, I am in the minority here I'm sure, but I don't think it's really worth the costs involved.

I know dry aged steaks at a restaurant are expensive but a dry aged steak at home ain't exactly cheap! I bought that whole subprimal for something like $8.18/lb. I know it's choice, I know it's Angus but that's still quite a bit for steak considering that usually you don't buy 16 pounds of steak, you buy maybe 3-4 pounds or less. Considering the weight loss while dry aging and there's a lot of waste from cutting off the tails and trimming the funk off of it, the yield is not very high. The costs of the Umai bags is another thing to consider.

It's an expensive endeavor and while it does taste good, I personally didn't find it to be worth the expense or the wait. If I do another, it will be because of my wife, she really liked them!

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »
RG, the price of beef has skyrocketed. Even brisket makes you think twice before buying it. Aged beef at restaurants like Ruth's Chris, is very expensive, and now I begin to see why. The meat is high and the process is time consuming.

However, your steaks look wonderful. I think the majority might agree with you though. Maybe something for very special occasions. Funny, now that I think about it, we eat few steaks anymore. I guess the smoker has something to do with it besides the prices.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
RG, the price of beef has skyrocketed. Even brisket makes you think twice before buying it. Aged beef at restaurants like Ruth's Chris, is very expensive, and now I begin to see why. The meat is high and the process is time consuming.

However, your steaks look wonderful. I think the majority might agree with you though. Maybe something for very special occasions. Funny, now that I think about it, we eat few steaks anymore. I guess the smoker has something to do with it besides the prices.

I still would like to give this a go at least once so I can see how it compares. My wife and eat steaks 2 or 3 times months, I buy the Prime cut from Costco which is excellent.

Greg

RG

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
Yep, it's a treat. At my house we eat a lot and I do mean a lot of chicken. Fish is becoming more of a part of our rotation as well. Beef and Pork are wonderful but don't get eaten nearly as much as they used to here. I will do another one at some point and will save them for special occasion meals. If I want a steak, I'll buy some Choice sirloins from Costco. They're always delicious and not too bad on the old wallet ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
I will say this, I am in the minority here I'm sure, but I don't think it's really worth the costs involved.

I respect your skills, Jason, but here's one place you and I definitely disagree! ;)   Even if you consider the cost of the bags (which I don't, anymore than I would consider the cost of foil or wood when smoking), the quality of the steak you get is well worth the $10-12 per steak you'll spend.  I, personally, don't think the beefy flavor and tenderness of dry-aged beef can be replaced, or duplicated.  But, I may be more of a steak connoisseur than you - and that's OK!  I absolutely love the stuff, and have experimented with a lot of different cuts, grades, and preps, and the dry-aged steaks are by far the best.  In my humble opinion, well-worth the cost and time!  Just wish beef was a little more affordable! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TexasSMK

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:19 AM »
I have to try this!!!!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »
I have to try this!!!!

If you're as big of a steak lover as I am, Dale, you owe it to yourself to try it.  Words can't describe what it does to the flavor.  Be warned, though - once you eat good beef, dry-aged, you'll be very disappointed in the first non-aged steak you have afterwards!  I know I was!
Tony from NW Arkansas

icebob

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:19 PM »
I will say this, I am in the minority here I'm sure, but I don't think it's really worth the costs involved.

I respect your skills, Jason, but here's one place you and I definitely disagree! ;)   Even if you consider the cost of the bags (which I don't, anymore than I would consider the cost of foil or wood when smoking), the quality of the steak you get is well worth the $10-12 per steak you'll spend.  I, personally, don't think the beefy flavor and tenderness of dry-aged beef can be replaced, or duplicated.  But, I may be more of a steak connoisseur than you - and that's OK!  I absolutely love the stuff, and have experimented with a lot of different cuts, grades, and preps, and the dry-aged steaks are by far the best.  In my humble opinion, well-worth the cost and time!  Just wish beef was a little more affordable! :o
Amen brother! aged steak is something else...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:20:24 AM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL