Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 1670 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Finally!
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
(For those that didn't hear, I moved from TX to CA in December.)

Well... I finally got the smoker back out after moving and have a batch of almonds going right now.  When those are done I'm putting in pecans.  It's not a particularly difficult smoke, but it's a sure sign that I'm 'back in business'.  Now I have to go get some meat so I can start filling up the deep freeze again.  I've been eating out entirely too much for lack of having stuff ready at home and that's not sustainable (nor does it taste that great) out here.

I saw the supermarket had tri-tip yesterday... oddly, I never saw one at a grocery store when I was in TX.  I hadn't actually seen one before and I was surprised by how much they almost look like a smaller brisket.  Is that how one treats them when smoking them, too?  (I'll do a search in a little bit, but feel free to reply here if you want.)

It's good to be back!  Maybe I can start checking in a little more often again and actually participating, now.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:27:34 PM »
Smoked almonds! I’ll have to try that some time. Glad you are on the smoke again!

As for tri-tip, low and slow to start, 225* with red oak wood and take it up to the temp of a steak that you prefer. I usually go to medium rare and then finish off with a sear, either on the gasser or my Weber Kettle. Flavor wise you can do many things, but look for Santa Maria Style tri-tip. There is a recipe on here somewhere, I think Divot Maker posted it up and it’s great. Simple but wonderful.

Just make sure you see the grain of the cut and slice against when you serve. The tri tip changes direction a little, so you have to adjust for that. Otherwise, it’s a great meal. I usually pick them up in double packs at my local Costo.

Let us know how it goes when you smoke when up.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Good to see you up and running again LarrryD.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:22:50 AM »
Super happy to hear that you are up and running again. I just rescued my smoker that had been sitting lonely at my parent's house for a while and it is good to have it home again.

I have never smoked or cooked a tri-tip before, so I will defer to the others here, but from what I remember, it is quite a bit different cut of meat versus a brisket and is usually served on the medium to medium-rare side.

I am looking forward to hearing how your tri-tip smoke goes. I may have to try it some time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.