Author Topic: Hello, newbie here!  (Read 1449 times)

pontrumlee

Hello, newbie here!
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
Hi all, just joined the forum, figured I would introduce myself. We have semi-recently moved to Texas and have discovered smoking. I am a huge BBQ guy, but never tried smoking until recently. Anyway.... My Weber Performer grill got damaged in transit when we moved, so I purchased a Kamado as a replacement. Since it's capable of smoking I gave it a whirl. WOW, my wife and kids ate that up. That was 9 months ago. I still smoke weekly in the Kamado. While I love my Kamado, smoking in it is not exactly easy.

Between adjusting air vents to hold the right temp, adding lump charcoal,  getting ready to put a brisket or rack of ribs on, only to realize that i am too low on charcoal, I am tired of fighting with the Kamado to get the perfect smoke. When the Kamado does a good smoke, it does a GOOD smoke, but let that grill get away from you, and it's all over for whatever is in there. So...I have decided on an electric smoker, and the Smoking-it comes highly reviewed. I am most likely going to be ordering my smoker end of this week or early next. Trying to decide between the #2 or the #3. Looking forward to joining the group here, lots of great information!!!!
Hello, my name is Pon, nice to meet you

Hank R

Re: Hello, newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Welcome here from western Canada.Lots of people here to help you if you have a problem .
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

Limey

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Hi Pon and welcome to the Forum from the Keys. Definitely get the #3 if your budget stretches to it. I have two of them at different houses and they have performed flawlessly.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
Welcome Pon from SE Arizona. As with everything, budget dictates what one can afford. I would get the 3 if possible just for the extra real estate. I can come in handy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
Welcome Pon! What old sarge says on the real estate. Get the #3 if possible, you will not regret the extra space for sure. What part of Texas did you  move to?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:40:06 AM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »
Welcome from Louisiana, for the wife and I the #2 is all I need, but a #3 would be nice for entertaining.
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
Welcome to the family, Pon...  I'm also in TX.  (Garland)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Durangosmoker

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:19:58 AM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley, Pon. It is just me, so the #2 is plenty big enough at my main house, and the #1 works well at the cabin, but there are still times I wish I had the #3.  As others have said, go with the biggest your budget is comfortable with.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Welcome! You will love which ever model you get. I love my 3D! Great size for what I use it for.

Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
My deciding factor when choosing between the #2 and #3 was that the #3 can do whole racks of ribs without cutting in two pieces. 
I have since found a Smokin Tex 1400 (used at a very reasonable price, to use while snowbirding). It is comparable to the #2 Smokin-It in size. I've only used the 1400 twice and have decided I prefer the #3 because of the extra capacity.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA