Author Topic: New to the forum. Having trouble with my ribs.  (Read 1297 times)

Farnod

New to the forum. Having trouble with my ribs.
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »
How's it going, I've had the number 1 for about two years, ive had okay luck with my porkbutts though they could be a bit more moist and my ribs have just been way too dry. I follow the steps on the lazy-q guide, but overall my flavor is good but everything is too dry. Any advice?
Thanks andrew from nebraska

Hank R

Re: New to the forum. Having trouble with my ribs.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »
Welcome to this great Forum from Western Canada. :)

I also have a #1 and I always use a a pan with 1 cup of apple juice and I also use Apple wood at 225 for 4.5 hrs and do not peak.  But I have only done Ribs 4 times, we like are ribs not really to moist.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:36:20 AM by Hank R »
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

Farnod

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks hank. Any thoughts on the foil method?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »
How's it going, I've had the number 1 for about two years, ive had okay luck with my porkbutts though they could be a bit more moist and my ribs have just been way too dry. I follow the steps on the lazy-q guide, but overall my flavor is good but everything is too dry. Any advice?
Thanks andrew from nebraska

Hi Andrew,

First let me say welcome to the Smokin-It forum from ND! But, also since you have already had your #1 for 2-years, WHAT THE HECK TOOK YOU SO LONG TO FIND US???

Just kidding. ;) We are glad you are here and you will find that this is a very helpful place.

Regarding your rib question,  I would suggest that you create a new post under the Problems and Troubleshooting section and provide a detailed list of ALL the steps you take from type of ribs, where you purchase them, as well as the preparation and all of the steps that you take all the way through your smoking process. There are quite a few pitfalls that could be tripping you up along the way and knowing your complete process is going to be the best way for the group to provide you the quickest and most accurate answer/suggestion for your dryness problem.

NDKoze
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers