Author Topic: Need help choosing a model/size?  (Read 5738 times)

snakyjake

Re: Need help choosing a model/size?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 10:03:53 PM »
@kz0m.  Thanks for the photo.  Did you find the meat temperature different from the upper versus lower rack? 

Still hoping to answer the moisture/smoke question if I oversize the cabinet volume for the cook.  I don't plan on smoking more than 2 butts.  But I also want the option to do jerky in the future, and don't want to compromise the moisture/smoke of doing 2 butts in a 4 butt cooker. 

I also don't want to tend to the butts in a #2 2-rack cabinet if I need to re-arrange the racks for temperature evenness.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
Jake, I can't comment on moisture regarding jerky concerns, I do have the jerky dryer that works with the SI smokers as well as others.  If it is a huge concern, just mix up up your jerky marinate and put the meat in a dehydrator.  I've used dehydrators in the past mainly for jerky with excellent results.  I've made a lot of dehydrator jerky!  I will try my hand at jerky with the 3D soon, just having fun with different meats so far, don't let that deter your decision for a SI smoker though ;-)   

Regarding the temp difference from the two butts vs the one butt in the photo, maybe 1-2 degrees warmer on the lower meats vs higher meat but I pulled them all at the same time.  So far my smokes have all been good and moist even when smoking small amounts of meat or almost 40 pounds, it all came out very moist.  I've also learned the importance of brining more than just turkey or chicken.  I now brine all meats before smoking them, sure helps with retaining moisture and keeping the meat more moist than without brining!

Carl 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:08:57 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

snakyjake

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The moisture/smoke concern is just for the pork butt.  I presume pork butt releases moisture, the more cabinet volume, the less relative humidity than a smaller one that might contribute to a single port butt being more dry than if it was cooked in a smaller cabinet.  But I could also reason that once a pork butt releases moisture, the moisture is lost, and the cabinet volume is irrelevant.

For the jerky/sausage, I think it is just a matter of having enough rack space.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »
You're not going to see any appreciable difference in moisture retention between a larger verses smaller smoker.

These smokers are so tight that moisture really isn't a problem at all. You put a mini tin loaf pan filled with beer, apple juice, or water on the floor of the smoker resting right up against the smoke box no matter whether you have a #1 or a #3.

These smokers retain moisture so well that you will find that the moisture retention processes like mopping, spritzing, and foiling are not necessary in the Smokin-It smokers.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
Let me toss in a comment.  If you are going to smoke a lot of sausage, I mean long ropes of sausage measured in double digit feet/double digit weight, and do so many times per month, then maybe the model 4 would be more appropriate.  If not, then go with the 3. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus