Author Topic: where are the smokers made  (Read 5358 times)

Freeport441

where are the smokers made
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »
just received my #1 today, will work on the burn in soon.  I was just curious though, where are these smokers made?  Right there in Montgomery, MI like Steve's business card says?  I looked on Google Maps and can't even locate a West Territorial Road
Brett in Monroe

Bebe

Re: where are the smokers made
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
I'm not sure, i've heard China but i don't know....
All i know they're built like a tank... i'm sure if a bomb drops near by your Q will be safe!
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »
They are made in China.  Steve is actually looking for other avenues, but his prices would go up substantially.  Smokin Tex, a main competitor, is also made in China.  It's sad that U.S. manufacturers can't even remotely compete with the overseas factories!  That's why Cookshack (made in Oklahoma) cost 3 times as much for a smoker that doesn't produce any better final product than the SI!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »
Regardless of where made, customer service is A+, parts are cheap, unit is built like a tank, works and runs well, and there are tons of testimonials here! 

As a comparison, I heard there are only 3 or 4 companies that actually make refrigerators, each us just branded a different way.  While one might like LG vs Bosch vs Sears its all the same these days.  Boated in on a shipping container.

Go with what works, use the savings vs others on meat for smokes. 

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Freeport441

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
gotcha, thanks for the replies.  Trust me, I have no problem with China, I was just curious whereabouts these were made.  Seems like most things nowadays are made in China.  I just spent $500 on some carbon fiber bicycle wheels that were made in China and so far I love them.  Could've bought the same thing, only made in the US, and would pay $1400.  I don't get it. Anyway,my burn-in is currently happening, smells great, even if its just wood.  In my defense, I am a firefighter, so I like the smell of smoke a lot.  Love the reviews so far, seems like a great smoker.  I am looking forward to using it in the future
Brett in Monroe

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
How about a first name and town in your signature line, Freeport?  We like to know our new friends!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
They are made in China.  Steve is actually looking for other avenues, but his prices would go up substantially.  Smokin Tex, a main competitor, is also made in China.  It's sad that U.S. manufacturers can't even remotely compete with the overseas factories!  That's why Cookshack (made in Oklahoma) cost 3 times as much for a smoker that doesn't produce any better final product than the SI!

Amen Brother.  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:38:28 AM »
Hey Brett, welcome from Kansas City, you will enjoy your #1 and I see a great many smokes coming your way. Also you can load it up and take it to the fire house to let your fellow firefighters enjoy some good bbq.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Freeport441

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
agreed elkins20...already thought of that.  It's the perfect size to throw in the bed of the truck and leave it there while I smoke something at the fire station.  Looking forward to it!
Brett in Monroe

Donmac

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:21:33 AM »
agreed elkins20...already thought of that.  It's the perfect size to throw in the bed of the truck and leave it there while I smoke something at the fire station.  Looking forward to it!

I bet your fellow firefighters are looking forward to it too!
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
Hi Brett, Welcome aboard from Eastern MA...
+1 on the previous comments. I too have a SI#1 and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
The #1 is made for the "have smoker, will travel" guys!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Once your FF buddies taste your Q, you'll never have a bad duty again!  Bet they'll just make you the permanent cook! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas