Author Topic: Model 3 wanna be  (Read 6671 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Model 3 wanna be
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:49:31 PM »
Its hard to go wrong with a Maverick 733 or 732.

As far as first smoke recommendation, I always recommend a Boston Butt. They are virtually foolproof and taste excellent.

I would look in the Pork section for Divotmaker's pork butt brine.

I have a #3 and haven't bothered with an Auber yet, and I put out some damn good BBQ.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
Congrats, Doug!  You will be amazed at what you're about to be capable of making!  I'm with Gregg - a bone-in Boston butt for pulled pork is my hands-down favorite "first smoke!"  The Boston butt is very forgiving, and it gives you a good, long, smoke to really test that bad boy out!  Almost impossible to mess up a butt, if you follow a proven recipe!  Here's how I do pork butts...pretty simple process, with great results!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

The key to learning is to follow some "known" winners, i.e., proven recipes.  Duplicate them, and then add your own "flare" when you master the basics (which won't take long).  The learning curve is much easier than it used to be, with so many great recipes here!

Follow the guides for what to do when it arrives, and basics for beginners, and lots of your questions will be answered! 

Glad to (almost) have you on board! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pipe Rat

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
I haven't even got my smoker yet and already ordered the auber PID. It's only just begun...... :-[
Doug St. Louis Metro
NOOB Extraordinaire

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
Congratulations on your new addiction, Doug. :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pipe Rat

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
My smoker arrived really fast and I was very disappointed that it had a rather large dent in it but what do you do? Sheet happens and its too large and bulky to make a big deal shipping it back and the condition of the box didn't undeniably point to the shipper so who knows where it happened. I didn't bother anyone with it as it's not gonna effect the performance.

I did my first smoke ever (Pork Butt) and it turned out awesome. So all is good. Awesome product.
Doug St. Louis Metro
NOOB Extraordinaire

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
Doug - so sorry about your shipping damage!  That's a heck of a dent!  I've forwarded this to Steve, so he'll be aware of your damage.
Tony from NW Arkansas