Author Topic: There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...  (Read 15150 times)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: There's another Mod 3 in Virginia...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
what temps were you seeing in your unit? are you using a Maverick or other thermometer to measure the internal temps? did you just set the dial to 225? on my #2 I usually set to around 240-ish and let it go for around 5-5.5 hours and they are normally done with a nice pull off the bone firmness, not too loose but not too firm. If you don't have a good thermo then I recommend at least getting a Maverick ET 732 or 733 for this. You really can't read the meat in a rib but you can monitor the temps in the unit for sure. 11 hours plus is a really really long time. We need more info for sure to "see" what was happening.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
Dan,

I have noticed here and elsewhere that different folks have a different criteria for rib perfection. Some like chew; others like it when the bone leaves the rib behind on the rack. Personally, I like mine with nearly all the fat rendered out. And no sauce or added liquid.

On the pull back, this occurs due to moisture loss (evaporation) causing the meat to shrink. Adding a container of liquid, and saucing at the beginning can slow down the process of pullback considerably, which leaves one to perform the old toothpick method of testing (twixt bone and meat). Also, opening the smoker to replenish liquid, or refreshing the sauce, or spritzing with apple cider causes rapid heat loss.

So it is important to know everything about the smoke process followed in order to narrow the possibilities causing the long smoke down to an easy remedy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 12:08:37 AM »
exactly
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DHurd

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
Okay, more detail...

Assuming all the info provided in my previous note, let me add the following:

Done for my bunch is just past chewy.  Nice and moist with a bit of bark.  Twist a bone and it'll come out clean, anywhere on the rack.  No sauce during the smoke, we sauce at the table, if at all.

I started this smoke from cold at apx. 10:15am, expecting to feed the family around 5:00pm, after a 6 hour smoke.  I took two racks out at 4:30pm and they were pink, having not opened the smoker before then.  Had to finish them using the oven and microwave.  Not my best work.

Having left the remaining 4 racks in the smoker, I turned it up to apx. 240 on the dial and let the go for another 3 hours.  They were still pink.  So I set the dial to 250 (now 8pm Sunday night) and watched another 3.5 hour of bad TV.

At 11:30pm, I opened the smoker and tested the IT (now about 165) and declared this smoke officially done.  They were absolutely the best ribs I've ever had.  My wife smelled them, woke up and came out to taste and declared the same.

No PID yet, should arrive today.  Have I answered most of the questions?

Thanks for all your guidance and insights.
Dan Hurd
Model 3, w/PID (Now properly bypassed!)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
Thanks Dan. That is good detail. The PID should tighten up the temp and time considerably. It is always rewarding when the food comes out great, even if not on time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Walt

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 03:57:48 PM »
It appears the abnormally slow cook times are all associated with the 3's.  I have yet to see one of these observations with the other units.  However, an interesting note is the 4 now comes standard with the PID. Hmmmmm
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DHurd

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
Apologies for the typos in my last note, I entered it using my tablet this morning over coffee.

I have to tell you Sarge, I was feeling a little bipolar after that smoke.  I was disappointed that Sunday dinner didn't turn out as planned, yet I was elated at the quality of the product (best ribs ever).

I gave a day-old rack of the remaining 4 to a neighbor/friend from Georgia and not only was she reluctant to share them with her husband, she later told me they were some of the best ribs she'd ever had as well.

My PID arrived this afternoon and I can't wait to try it out.
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
post up some picks after or during your modding, a lot of guys like to see what others have done with the PID
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

es1025

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »
Dan
I would consider raising your temperature to 240.  With 6 racks of 40 degree or so meat you may need a little boost.

I have smoked 3 racks at 240 for 5.5 hours no peeking and they were the best ribs ever.  I would suggest trying three racks and find your temperature sweet spot.   

BTW, I have a #3.  I was a foiling until I joined the Divotmaker revolution.  I still foil butts and brisket.

You can see some pictures under the pork section posting christmas eve ribs. 

If you like ribs try BJ's imo better than costco.

Welcome aboard.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »
Ha!  The DivotMaker revolution, eh?  I can't take credit for the "no peeky" method, I just promote it because I believe in it!  I actually learned about, early in the forum, from UWFSAE (Joe from Houston).  Credit where credit is due!  I miss Joe around here; great recipes and advice.  He pops in every now and then, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DHurd

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
On Tony's advice, I didn't foil this batch of ribs and everyone, myself included, declared these to be the best they'd ever had.

So no more foiling for me.  I'm climbing onboard this revolution!

Now that the PID has arrived, I'm considering duplicating that smoke as closely as I can using the PID to provide a with/without comparison.  Has anyone ever done this?

Benjammn:  I'm not a big fan of the local BJ's, they just seem to have lost their spirit.  They don't care and don't care if you know it.  Costco on the other hand, wants your business and makes sure you know it.  They'll cut, wrap, re-wrap, pull out stuff from the back, discuss the latest shipment with you and even if you don't buy a sliver, they're still glad you came.
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
Welcome to the revolution, Dan! ;D   One thing I like about the PID is the ability to set steps.  To avoid the possibility of wood combustion, I ramp up slowly.  Set the first step to:

C01  130   E01  t   F01  .5

C02   225  E02  t   F02  7.0

This allows the wood to smoulder a bit before ramping up to final temp.  I like 225 for ribs, but some like 240.  Since you're only monitoring box temp with the ribs, you can put the meat probe in the box, or outside.  It does have to be attached for the PID to work.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
If you do not get the  temperature results you are looking for with the PID, you may need to bypass the analog controller as they can conflict as the stock therm is connected to the controller.  I believe it is one or the other that is in charge. If you want the PID to control all, then I am fairly certain that those using the Auber for controlling the heat, the on board control must be bypassed.  Tony and Steve and others can add to that or correct me if I am wrong.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Wik

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
I only bypassed to get temps higher than 250.  That said if the stock thermostat is set to max and smoker light is going off when Auber still is saying heat'r up, then it could be that the stock thermostat is prematurely turning off the switch.  Usually that isn't the case as that would point to a bad or not quite calibrated correctly stock thermostat. 

So yes you can bypass if you want higher temps, but it shouldn't be necessary.  Just make sure you dial the built in one as high as it can go and it shouldn't interfere with the Auber control of the unit.
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
I agree, Wik!  The stock controller, on max, just becomes a pass-through for the power being directed at the unit from the PID (through the power cord).  For those that don't know, the power cord from the smoker is plugged into the PID, so it would be like you plugging and unplugging the power cord, really fast, to add or remove power to the unit.  Also, the power applied to the unit is varied, based on the PID settings (how fast or slow the temp is modified).

My understanding sound right to you, Wik?
Tony from NW Arkansas