Author Topic: Greetings from Michigan!  (Read 10261 times)

Pickle

Greetings from Michigan!
« on: December 15, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
Hello All,
Seasoning my new #2 for its maiden voyage tomorrow with some ribs.  Thanks for the helpful hints on temp/time and a rub to use, first time user.....
Happy Holidays!
Chris

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Greetings from Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
Hi Chris, and welcome to the club!  You'll have lots of good times ahead of you with your #2!  Here's a simple recipe for ribs:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1184.0

I use 2 - 2 1/2 oz of wood for ribs, prep them, put them in the smoker, and don't peek until they're done!  Lazy Q at its finest!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pickle

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Exactly what I was planning on doing, thanks.  I'll report back on the results, the family is excited about the first smoke!
Appreciate it

Pickle

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
Great first attempt, the family liked the rub and the flavor.  The goal for the next batch is to get the tenderness up, these were somewhat tender, just not fall off the bone good!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
Sounds like a good first smoke!   What temp did you set the #2?   Did you pull them at 5 hours, or give them a little more time?    With my #2, I set the smoker at 225F and let the babybacks go for 4 hours without peeking.  After that, I pull them and rub on some BBQ sauce for the last hour or so.  If at 4 hours the meat is starting to pull off the bone, then I let them go for another hour.  If not, then I let them go for 1.5 hours...the key is seeing the bone to know that the meat will fall off!

A little practice and you will have them where you want them!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pickle

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
I set it at 225 and let them go for 5-5:15 hrs untouched.  I did not see any meat pulling from the bone, when I pulled them or after resting.  I only used one piece of hickory, about 2" worth (the wood that came with the smoker), would that have any impact on it?

I'll try your method next time and see if they improve.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
I see no issues with your approach; you do want a small amount of wood in the box, so I think a 2" piece would have been fine (although I now break these up so that all of the wood is used during the smoke).   A couple of suggestions:  try adding some BBQ sauce after the 4 hour mark, and you might want to try adding a small pan of water/apple juice/etc in the bottom of the smoker to add a bit more moisture.  I actually use a small can with apple juice, although I think a small loaf pan might be better to distribute the moisture.   A bit of experimentation and I think you will find what works best for you!   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »
Chris - When I do baby backs, it usually takes 5:30-5:45.  Any easy way to test for tenderness is to stick a wooden toothpick in the meat next to the bone, then gently pull away from the bone.  If it moves easy, they're done!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Chris
I would add a little water pan/can.

I am a convert to Tony's (Divot) method and with the water in the smoker it adds to the tenderness.  I go 5 1/2 hours no peek.  I serve my ribs dry with sauce on the side.  I will be firing up my #3 Sunday for some ribs.  The temps here in Nj will be north of 60.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
Wow, Ed!  Gonna be warmer than here in the south!  We're supposed to get some snow or freezing rain this weekend!  But....won't keep me from smoking something! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
I have to agree with everyone here. Put a small pan in the bottom to add some moisture and just over time get a feel for the doneness of the meat. Tony is definitely a great resource here. I have given him my nod to his experience.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
Thanks Ben!  You're making me blush. :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pickle

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
Thanks all, appreciate the help!

I did use a beer can full of apple cider, will try a loaf pan the next time and will let them go a little longer to see.

We'll keep trying it until we get them right!!

Happy New Year to all,

Chris

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 02:41:04 PM »
Good to hear, Chris!  Hit us up with any questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pickle

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
One quick question, do I need to worry about sub zero temps and smoking?  I'm planning on another test tomorrow and the high is supposed to be 3  :o.

Thanks for the help!

Chris