Author Topic: Pellets.... Cold & Hot smoking.. My results  (Read 1526 times)

Chef BBQ

• A bad day Q'ing beats a good day at the office.
    • Cold Smoke Lox Tutorial
Pellets.... Cold & Hot smoking.. My results
« on: June 12, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
I have experimented with using the pellet screen and hot smoking and found that for 'me', my rule of thumb would be to use twice the weight of pellets than of chunks (your results would vary) and to pile the pellets into the center of the screen.

Cold smoking. I use the A-Maze-N Tube smokers for all of my cold smoking. Before purchasing my 4D Wifi, I asked Steve if the tube smoker would work in smoker. We was not sure if there was not enough draft for the pellets to burn. I did a test burn today and the pellets burned cleaned and completely. I might drill the drain hole a little bigger to ensure better airflow. IMHO, the test was a success.

For those that are curious where is where you can look at the tube smokers https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm
I will smoke anything if lies still long enough.
I do it all from sausages to cold smoked lox.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pellets.... Cold & Hot smoking.. My results
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
Quite a few people use that product.  I don't know of anyone here who have enlarged the drain hole.  Dropping the drain pan might improve air intake.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Chef BBQ

• A bad day Q'ing beats a good day at the office.
    • Cold Smoke Lox Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
I don't use the drain pan. I use a old metal dog bowl that sits on the ground, so I agree with your suggestion.  Enlarging the drain hole couldn't hurt, could it?
I will smoke anything if lies still long enough.
I do it all from sausages to cold smoked lox.

joeman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:42:51 PM »
I have experimented with using the pellet screen and hot smoking and found that for 'me', my rule of thumb would be to use twice the weight of pellets than of chunks (your results would vary) and to pile the pellets into the center of the screen.

Cold smoking. I use the A-Maze-N Tube smokers for all of my cold smoking. Before purchasing my 4D Wifi, I asked Steve if the tube smoker would work in my smoker. We was not sure if there was not enough draft for the pellets to burn. I did a test burn today and the pellets burned cleaned and completely. I might drill the drain hole a little bigger to ensure better airflow. IMHO, the test was a success.

For those that are curious where is where you can look at the tube smokers https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

Decided to pull a trigger too - as the tube works perfectly (not to say amazing, hah!) for my cold smokes.
Stuck upon your thread, and just wanted to know - how experiment is going, Chef? Any photos to share? Have you enlarged the drain?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:54:48 PM by joeman »