Author Topic: Tough Baby Back Ribs  (Read 3184 times)

Gene68

Tough Baby Back Ribs
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Finished first smoke with baby backs. Marinated the ribs overnight, put rub on them, cooked 2 racks at 235 for 5 hours....no peek. They came out pretty tough. Used Apple wood and also mini loaf pan filled with apple juice. Any ideas why they would be so tough? Bark does look good though!
Gene from Louisiana

RSNovi

Re: Tough Baby Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
My last BB ribs came out tough as well.  I did 225 degrees for 4.5 hours.  It was the first time that I put the rub on in advance.  I usually rub and put the ribs right in the smoker.  I am not sure other that maybe it was the meat or something.

I made the previous ribs exactly the same without putting the rub on in advance.  These were the best ribs I might have ever made.

Chris
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

es1025

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
Gene

You may have to increase the time of the smoke, I would check at 5 hours, if the ribs don't bend with tongs, I would smoke for another 1/2 hour.  Check again.

Also, Ribs should go on either the top rack or the 2nd highest rack.  More consistent temps.

You can also let the ribs rest for 30-60 minutes wrapped in foil.

Each set of ribs is different.

I have an auber, I smoke for 5 hours 15 minutes at 240, before I start checking.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
Gene, I agree with Ed.  Sounds like you needed a little more time.  I usually go about 5:15 @ 235, but it's taken close to 6:00 at times.  Depends on the ribs - some cook faster than others.  It's all about feel, for me.  I start checking around 5 hours, with a wooden toothpick.  If it goes in tender, and I can pull the meat sideways (away from the bone) without breaking the toothpick, they're done!  If not, I go another 20-30 min and check again.  No "cookie cutter" recipe, just a starting guideline.  The meat will tell you when it's done!

Chris - I doubt you'll ever get tender ribs using 225 for 4.5 hours.  Increase your temp to 235, and go longer.  Also, putting the rub on the night before, and resting (wrapped in plastic) in the fridge is the preferred method.  It allows the rub to penetrate the meat, and the salt in the rub acts as a "dry brine," which will help the meat retain moisture.  I think your issue is time and temp, not when you applied the rub.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
In my #3 2 racks at 235 for five hours would make most racks fall apart. I don't like them that loose and smoke about 4.5 hours.

My point is most racks, not all my ribs are done at 4.5 some go another 15 to 20 minutes. If your ribs were tough but not dry then it is a time issue.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

RSNovi

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I will continue to experiment with cooking times and methods for checking doneness.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
I think Brian has a good point about tenderness vs. dryness, and I know some don't like "fall off the bone" tender.  I believe a lot of what different people experience is based on where you buy your ribs.  The best ribs, I have ever found, come from my local Sam's Club.  The baby backs are big and really meaty.  But, ribs I've bought from the local grocery stores are not, and finish must faster.  So, it all comes down to feel.  Ribs, no matter where you get them, are going to be done on their own schedule. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Gene68

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
Thanks all! Time may have been the issue, since they were not dry. Also will try the toothpick test as well. Gives me a good excuse to try again!
Gene from Louisiana