Author Topic: First Smoke  (Read 2615 times)

TimC

First Smoke
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
Hi guys.  A couple comments before I seek some input.  I had a Weber bullet charcoal smoker but was looking for an electric that was more portable.  In doing some research I came across Smokin It and the forum.  I am supper impressed with the quality of the smoker.  It seems like a great product.  Secondly, this forum is really a good resource and I've learned a lot from the information that is shared here.  Thanks!

After just receiving my #1, I broke it in with a small 5.4lb butt.  I came across the brine method (https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0) and decided to use it.  I followed all of the directions as well as the directions for cooking on the smoker (they we're really helpful) - seasoning the smoker, boats for the wood, lining the bottom (and top of wood box) with foil, cutting hole in the bottom of foil...All went well.  A picture is attached with the outcome before I wrapped it and stuck in cooler for 45 minutes.

The butt came out really nice with great flavor and moist.  I'll definitely brine again.  What surprised me was how long it took.  I set the butt in the smoker and set it to 225 degrees.  It took about 11 hours and 15 minutes.  I had the time so it was ok but what concerned me was how long it would take me to cook a larger butt.  I also thought that the brine method would speed things up.  Does this cook time seem right?  Should I set it to 250 degrees next time if I'm doing a larger butt. 

Btw, clean up of the smoker is surprisingly easy.   ;D   Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim
Charlotte, NC

barelfly

Re: First Smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
Congrats on the first smoke and #1!

As for the pork butt, I’ve had some taken even longer. Not sure why but they did. And others will say the smaller the cut of meat, the longer it could take. But just take your experience in to account and make sure you leave yourself time for rest rather than pushing a cook and not getting results you want. You can faux cambro these meats for a bit if you get done quicker than expected. A cheap cooler with foil and beach towels will give you a great cambro to hold until sides are cooked and guests are ready to eat.

Hope that helps. I’m sure others will also provide some great tips. 
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »
Welcome to the family, Tim!
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
Welcome Tim from SE Arizona. What internal temp were you going for? Butts and briskets take time. A lot of time. For that reason, I typically start mine between 10 PM and midnight, once in a  great while maybe 0100 hours. Then I am off to bed.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TimC

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
Good Question.  I started it in the morning and kept it on until it hit 192 degrees.  Then took it off, wrapped in foil and a blanket and into the cooler.  I guess I could always take your approach and put it on  the night before and then pull it off early afternoon vs trying to do it all in a day for a big butt.  That's the advantage of an electric vs charcoal. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »
The question of when to smoke depends upon when one desires to serve the meal. They do keep rather well all bundled up and tucked in a cooler.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:33 AM »
Two hours per pound sounds about right, maybe even faster than I would have thought. Butts 5 pounds or less can take 3 or more hours per pound. The larger the butt, the fewer hours per pound they take. So a small butt can end up taking the same amount of time as a large butt. It has to do with the breakdown of the connective tissue. It just takes a certain amount of time, regardless of size. I also got my start with a WSM. Still have it. Haven't used it since I bought my #1, but I still think I might someday, just for old time's sake. When I need to remind myself how hard things were in the olden days. ;D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
I typically go with the overnight approach and just keep it warm in a cooler. I try to always pull my pork just before serving. The SI has made smoking a breeze.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

TimC

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the input!  The leftovers are just as good!

Boone

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
I smoke my butts at 225 degrees to an IT of 190 -195. I learned to never figure on an amount time that they will be done. I guess around 1.5 hours per pound but only use that as a guide. For example .. last week I smoked two ten pound butts in my #2 which were bought at the same store .. at the same time .. and the same brand. They both turned out great .. as usual .. but one of the butts was finished two hours before the second butt. Go Figure!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:13:28 AM by Boone »
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
I smoke my butts at 225 degrees to an IT of 190 -195. I learned to never figure on an amount time that they will be done. I guess around 1.5 hours per pound but only use that as a guide. For example .. last week I smoked two ten pound butts in my #2 which were bought at the same store .. at the same time .. and the same brand. They both turned out great .. as usual .. but one of the butts was finished two hours before the second butt. Go Figure!

Different pigs have different proportions of muscle/fat, just like people! Even if raised together and fed the same diet, genetics will make them different.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide