Author Topic: Bostons...question  (Read 3004 times)

Tar54

Bostons...question
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
I have smoked approx.16 of them to date...all very delicious I might add! I have seen posts stating that they wrap the Boston after cooking and let it rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours...what benefit are you receiving from doing this? Getting ready to pull no.17 here in a few...
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

barelfly

Re: Bostons...question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
Main benefit is holding for dinner time, but a few times I have smoked a butt and it took longer than expected. I was traveling to the lake with it and I pulled in 185* range and the four hour hold in the cooler with towels basically finished it to where it pulled absolutely perfectly.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
I don't know about anyone else but resting helps retain moisture and it keeps the food warm/hot till ready for serving.  I have pulled pork within 10 to 20 minutes after removing from the smoker.   I just placed it is a heavy lidded pot while we got everything else ready for dinner. But I also wrap when the butt (or brisket is finished and dinner or whatever is still a couple of hours off.  Pretty much situational dependent.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
Wrapping and holding for 1-2 hours allows the juices to redistribute through the meat.  You might want to try this at some point and see if you notice a difference.   Pretty much the wrap and hold is good for any large cuts of meat.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Tar54

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Wrapping and holding for 1-2 hours allows the juices to redistribute through the meat.  You might want to try this at some point and see if you notice a difference.   Pretty much the wrap and hold is good for any large cuts of meat.
Getting ready to pull one here in a few minutes...what do you guys wrap with? A towel? 1 or 2 layers? Thanks

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
I double wrap with foil, then wrap a beach towel around it and put in the cooler.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Tar54

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
I double wrap with foil, then wrap a beach towel around it and put in the cooler.
Thats what I will do then...it is at 186.1 right now...Thank you....

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
Rick, did you wrap & rest?  I believe this is critical for any large cuts, and even steaks on the grill.  During the final stages of cooking, the rendering fat inside the meat is on a pathway out of the meat.  By double-wrapping in foil, and resting at least an hour, you reverse that flow, and those juices are reabsorbed in the meat and retained.  If you've ever cut into a steak fresh off the grill, and your plate instantly filled with the juices, you experienced what resting reverses!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Tar54

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
Rick, did you wrap & rest?  I believe this is critical for any large cuts, and even steaks on the grill.  During the final stages of cooking, the rendering fat inside the meat is on a pathway out of the meat.  By double-wrapping in foil, and resting at least an hour, you reverse that flow, and those juices are reabsorbed in the meat and retained.  If you've ever cut into a steak fresh off the grill, and your plate instantly filled with the juices, you experienced what resting reverses!
I did! for 1.5 hours...we couldn't take it any longer! It was moist and delicious!Double foil wrapped and then wrapped a towel around that and let it set in the cooler..

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
Great Rick!  I usually rest an hour.  Longer, if done early, but an hour seems to do the trick, for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!