Author Topic: Permanent thermometer  (Read 6403 times)

colecp

Permanent thermometer
« on: September 24, 2019, 07:06:25 PM »
What's the consensus on adding a permanent, thru-door thermometer. I'm thinking of something you might see in a brewing set up. Stainless bulkhead and a non digital probe thermometer to fit. It seems most drop a probe through the exhaust hole but I do thing a large, permanent thermometer dial would be pretty sweet.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Permanent thermometer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
What's the consensus on adding a permanent, thru-door thermometer. I'm thinking of something you might see in a brewing set up. Stainless bulkhead and a non digital probe thermometer to fit. It seems most drop a probe through the exhaust hole but I do thing a large, permanent thermometer dial would be pretty sweet.

I have absolutely no interest in the box temperature and I see that as the only use of an analog probe in the door.  I only care about the internal temp of whatever I'm smoking.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

colecp

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
Good point, I may just be suffering from the fact that it's simply different from my previous smokers. I do have a dual probe thermometer for meat and box temp anyway.
Chris Cole
Winnsboro SC

HowardP

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
Actually, one of my questions as a maybe soon owner of a #2. If you don't know the box temperature how do you know if it's 200 or 300. I don't want to cook my ribs on 250-300. I might be spending $500 on a smoker that I'm hoping will hold a consistent temp. I don't want to guess on what that temperature might be.

If someone has done this, I would be interested in know what they did and why.

Cheers,

Howard

Good point, I may just be suffering from the fact that it's simply different from my previous smokers. I do have a dual probe thermometer for meat and box temp anyway.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:23 PM »
Actually, one of my questions as a maybe soon owner of a #2. If you don't know the box temperature how do you know if it's 200 or 300. I don't want to cook my ribs on 250-300. I might be spending $500 on a smoker that I'm hoping will hold a consistent temp. I don't want to guess on what that temperature might be.

If you absolutely must precisely control the temperature for personal reasons (there are not established technical reasons that necessitate it), then you'll want to get one of the digital models... either the 2D or the 2DW.  If you're going to spend the extra then go all in and get the 2DW.  For my money, I'd get the #3, instead.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

HowardP

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
I didn't actually ask for 'precise' control of my smoker, but I do 'personally' desire something closer than a 20% swing. I could cook my ribs at 350 and save a ton of time, however....

Personal preference for sure.

Bests,

Howard

[/quote]

If you absolutely must precisely control the temperature for personal reasons (there are not established technical reasons that necessitate it), then you'll want to get one of the digital models... either the 2D or the 2DW.  If you're going to spend the extra then go all in and get the 2DW.  For my money, I'd get the #3, instead.
[/quote]

tomd8

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
Hi Howard - Just get a wireless remote multi probe thermometer (like a ThermoPro or Inkbird), drop the probes through the smoke exhaust hole on the top and use one to monitor the box temp and the other to monitor the meat.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:36:46 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

es1025

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
I have a legacy model 3. I bypassed and after a year or so integrated the permanent probe. The temperature is dialed in with less than 1 degree. The cooks become much more predictable. If took a little effort but well worth it.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?