Author Topic: Foil Trick  (Read 8772 times)

airgunhunter

Foil Trick
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:14 AM »
I had trouble keeping the foil from bunching up because the smoke box scrapes the bottom of the smoker box and drags the foil along with it. A simple solution is to cut a piece of cardboard just wider than the smoke box. Place the foil where you want it, put down the cardboard and then slide in the smoker box. Next slide out the cardboard and the foil will stay in place. I hope this helps someone.

Tommy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:33:37 AM by airgunhunter »
Tommy in SC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Foil Trick
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:06:23 AM »
I usually just lift up on the box flexing the box frame up a bit while I slide the box in. But that may not work in the #4s. Good idea.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
Tommy, I like the spacing that you have between the element and the bottom of your wood box.  Mine almost touches and makes for a very hot burning wood box.  It is why I've had to go to some extra measures to prevent combustion.  As for putting the box in over the foil, I can lift the wood box high enough to have plenty of clearance in my #4. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

airgunhunter

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »
Thanks SuperDave, it's my first SI smoker, but I've been very pleased with the ability of the wood box to quickly produce and sustain smoke production.
Tommy in SC

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
I don't have a problem with the foil bunching up but the Heavy Duty Reynolds wrap I'm using takes two sheets to cover the bottom.  Is there another brand you guys can recommend that only requires one sheet on the bottom?  Thanks,
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
I don't have a problem with the foil bunching up but the Heavy Duty Reynolds wrap I'm using takes two sheets to cover the bottom.  Is there another brand you guys can recommend that only requires one sheet on the bottom?  Thanks,
If you dig around the foil section you can find wider rolls. I don't recall the width of the roll I have (maybe 17") but it's slightly wider than the inside cabinet width so one sheet fits nicely and can fold to cover the bottom inch or so of both sides as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:02:31 PM by Texan in Tulsa »
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:01:52 PM »
Joe, go to Sam's or Costco and get you a roll of the commercial foodservice stuff.  Sam's sells 18" x 500 feet for about $20...lasts forever, and is better than Reynolds HD, imo.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
Divot, the HD rolls I get from Costco are 18".  They won't cover the 4D with one sheet.
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:25:45 PM »
Oops...sorry, Joe!  Wasn't thinking about that extra couple of inches on the #4...dang, that thing's huge!  You mentioned Reynold's Wrap, so I didn't know you got it at Costco.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »
The inside of my model 4 measures 18.5".  I use 18" wide and call it good.  We could use 20" wide and there would still be grease under the foil.  Don't sweat it, it's a smoker. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 02:37:28 AM »
The inside of my model 4 measures 18.5".  I use 18" wide and call it good.  We could use 20" wide and there would still be grease under the foil.  Don't sweat it, it's a smoker.

I thought that the depth of the 4D was 22". No?
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 09:44:53 AM »
I don't have a #4, but the depth does show as 21.5.

I am guessing that Dave was referring to the width since that is the width of the HD Foil that this thread is talking about.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
I don't have a #4, but the depth does show as 21.5.

I am guessing that Dave was referring to the width since that is the width of the HD Foil that this thread is talking about.
You're probably right, thanks. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

EFGM

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »
Good info here. Reading up on a slow Friday night. Awesome forum!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

CGreenTX

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »
I came to post asking how people managed to foil under their wood box without ripping it up. This trick should do nicely. Thanks!

Chris Green