Author Topic: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast  (Read 11215 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
I can see how trapped air/moisture pockets could lead to funk.  I've never done bone-in.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
I've seen lot of people do bone-in without any trouble. I'm not 100% convinced that it is the issue. I've also seen similar comments about the surface smell with the umai bags in general for 60+ days. My feeling is that bone-in is fine, but if going longer than 45 days, the porous bones might have a lot of extra "flavor". So be prepared for that if eating the bones. And if going more than 45 days in general, and you find an unpleasant surface smell, and you notice thin tacky lines that look like they came from small wrinkles in the bag, then rinse off the meat prior to trimming. The inside of my roast was excellent. But I should have rinsed the surface. I watched a youtube video last night of a guy who had the exact same experience as me. He aged for 65 days bone-in, commented on the funky surface smell, and was planning on doing the bones sous vide. And like me, the interior meat smelled good. He even left the crust on his steaks, and liked it better than trimmed. Not sure about that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6qipxJw7rg
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide