Author Topic: Model 2 smoker high temperature too low?  (Read 1421 times)

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
Model 2 smoker high temperature too low?
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
I've done three cooks so far on my Model 2 -- spare ribs, boston butt, and meatloaf.  I'm generally quite pleased with the Model 2, but on the third cook, I couldn't get the temperature in the smoker higher than 230 when I turned the dial up as high as it would go.  I started out the smoke with the setting at 220.  The temperature ranged from about 214 to 235, which was about as I expected (I was aiming for 225).  After a couple hours, I basted the meatloaf with sauce and turned the temperature dial up all the way.  According to my Maverick XM, the temperature never got over 237.  The actual temperature range really didn't change much at all from the initial setting.

As background, I calibrated the rheostat during my first cook so that the temperature ranged from 214 to 232 when dial was set at 220.  The outside ambient temperature was around 100 when I calibrated. 

One thing I've noticed is that, after calibrating, the setting dial now stops at 230; i.e., I can't physically turn it all the way to 250.  Have I "overdone" the calibration?

Also, as background, I positioned the rack as high as possible with my third cook, but used the next lowest setting on the first two cooks.  I'm not sure if I should expect a different max temperature as a function of where I position the rack.

I'd like to be able to kick the temperature up to 250 every now and then, but I realize this smoker is not intended to go higher than that without modifications.  I'm not yet ready for modifications.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion on how to kick the temp up to 250.
Ed in North Texas

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
Re: Model 2 smoker high temperature too low?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Well, I'm afraid I didn't make diligent enough use of the search function here to diagnose my problem.  I dug a little deeper this morning and discovered that some here had determined that the thermometers they were using to calibrate the SI were inaccurate.   That was the case with my Maverick XR-40.  I checked it this morning and it read 37 in ice water and 196 in boiling water.  I suspect I ruined the probe awhile back when I dropped it into water.  I've ordered a replacement.

In the meantime, I had a spare Maverick ET-733.  I checked it this morning and it read 34 in ice water and 212 in boiling water.  I placed that on the rack closest to the onboard SI probe and did a test.  Sure enough, the SI was getting much hotter than I had thought.  I need to recalibrate the rheostat to be consistent with the accurate Maverick ET-733.  I don't anticipate any problems, but will post back if I encounter any.

To summarize, there is nothing wrong with my SI. 

Ed in North Texas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Model 2 smoker high temperature too low?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Great investigative work, Ed!   Glad to hear that the SI is working properly.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2