Author Topic: inherited a moldy #2  (Read 6881 times)

BIG BOB

inherited a moldy #2
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
What would you guys do to clean it?  Burn it out and reseason it?
Other than that it looks great!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: inherited a moldy #2
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
Moldy?  I'd be interested in those pics.

I'd say oven cleaner soaking (ez off or ZEP from ace hardware, scrape down with putty knife, hose off.

Repeat and or re-season.

Sometimes Ez off takes a few days and multiple uses.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
Moldy?  I'd be interested in those pics.

I'd say oven cleaner soaking (ez off or ZEP from ace hardware, scrape down with putty knife, hose off.

Repeat and or re-season.

Sometimes Ez off takes a few days and multiple uses.

+1.  Strip the interior and re-season.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
i am just gonna clean it up the best i can....  and then I think the rest of the crap will burn off during the Re-seasoning process. thanks ... the reason it was so moldy is because the guy accidentally left his grease and foil and yuk in there for a long while (months he said). - obviously not using it enough....huh? 

the reseasoning should make everything ok right??? i want to try to cook on it this weekend if possible to see how it does. i am stoked about having two #2s in the arsenal!!!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

MarkF

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
+1 for cleaning and reasoning. Put racks and rail holder in dishwasher.

M
One with too many toys.....
Smokin-it #2, #3
Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, Smokey Joe Gold
Chargriller Outlaw with SFB
Camerons Stove Top Smoker

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »
TONY AND MARK.... what exactly do you guys mean with "+1 for ...." just to make sure and do that? LOL  I'm confused I guess.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Hey Bob, +1 means they agree with the post that they quoted. Also Bleach will kill the mold. I would use maybe 1 cup of bleach in some warm water and scrub the inside down. Then you can use the oven cleaner. But, would want the mold killed and not sure if the oven cleaner would do that. And you can do the same in the sink with the rack holders using bleach, soap and water. Then into the dish washer. When working at the blood center we used a solution of 70/30 water to bleach to clean everything. Hope this helps.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
thanks so much elkins 20
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
Your very welcome Bob, and you can call me Bill...  ;)
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
TONY AND MARK.... what exactly do you guys mean with "+1 for ...." just to make sure and do that? LOL  I'm confused I guess.

Hehe...sorry, Bob!  If you see someone give a "+1," it shows they agree with the previous (or quoted) comment, without having to type all that out.  It gives the person who asked the question more confidence in an answer when more folks are in agreement that it's a good recommendation.  Just "forum speak," I guess. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BIG BOB

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
i dont want to spray bleach in the smoker... gonna try SOS pads and some water.... then reseason it .
that should do it right. it is green mold - not black mold. does that make a difference?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
Bob, that should not be a problem and should work just fine. The green mold is like the mold you would find growing on food if it is left to long in your refrigerator. Black mold is the one you need to worry about causing potential health issues.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »
Bob - just take the smoke box out, get out the garden hose and a Brillo pad, and go to town!  You can't hurt it, and re-seasoning will remove any odor you get from any cleaning product.  I've Easy-Off'd more than once, with zero detrimental effects.  As long as you wash it down good, you're golden!   We're all overthinking this. 

In fact, I would have no problem washing the inside with a cut bleach solution, as long as it's hosed out at the end. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »
Bob - just take the smoke box out, get out the garden hose and a Brillo pad, and go to town!  You can't hurt it, and re-seasoning will remove any odor you get from any cleaning product.  I've Easy-Off'd more than once, with zero detrimental effects.  As long as you wash it down good, you're golden!   We're all overthinking this. 

In fact, I would have no problem washing the inside with a cut bleach solution, as long as it's hosed out at the end.

The cut bleach will kill the mold, then I would use an oven cleaner like easy-off. I would just spray the bleach solution and let it do its work. Then scrub. What do you think?

BIG BOB

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:18 AM »
ok fellas... thanks so much. i will give it a go and tell you what happens... When i get this sucker cleaned up - I will feel like I won the lottery. or at least a new #2. Thanks again. Love these smokers and this site. you have been very helpful guys.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.