Author Topic: Question on Wood Chunk Weight?  (Read 4125 times)

Papa Rick

Question on Wood Chunk Weight?
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »
I bought all my wood chunks from this site and my question is this:

Is there a way to guess at the weight of the wood chunks as most of them are the same size or best to buy a scale and if so which one?

I know I should have already done this, as I will be smoking 2 butts tomorrow and then 4 racks of ribs on Saturday.  The ribs I have done numerous times and just put 3 chuncks with them, never weighing them. 

So doing the Butts, I believe I have read on here that it will need double the amount of wood chunks? 

Advice and suggestions appreciated.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Question on Wood Chunk Weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
Hey Rick, Nope you would need a scale, mine is a Escali that I purchased online. I think you can find one in your home town. Just make sure it will measure in oz. Also I do not think you need to double the wood on your smoke of the BB. Here is a handy tool to download to your computer. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=51.0
It has a guide for smoking meats, with measurements of wood, and times. This is very handy item.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Papa Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate it Bill.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:31:06 PM by Papa Rick »

elkins20

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate it. Elkins20

Thanks Rick, but you can call me Bill as you see at the bottom of my post a little info about me. You can do also by adding to the signature area on your profile.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
A good digital scale is a must.  And you don't need to spend a fortune.  Many good scales are available.  I use my wife's good grips scale.  Besides weighing your wood, you can also check the weight of the meat after trimming/brining. There are a couple of folks here who also use a moisture meter to check on the moisture content of the wood. This way you can either dry or re-hydrate your wood.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

va_rider

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
I bought a digital postage scale from Staples for like $20-$30 3 years ago. That's what I use on my wood chunks.

Edit: Price has gone up a bit, but they still sell it.. good for 25#. http://www.staples.com/Dymo-Digital-Postal-Scale-with-USB-Connection-25lb-1772059-/product_897133?akamai-feo=off
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:25:12 PM by va_rider »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
That is a good idea, and beats my little one for doing meat after trimming. The scale part on mine is just about 5 inches round so cannot do large size meats.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:43:23 AM by elkins20 »

Papa Rick

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks David, Aaron and Bill!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:46:24 PM by Papa Rick »

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Harbor Freight has a scale for $16.00 that will read grams, ounces and pounds
(16 #) max. One point to keep in mind is that wood with a higher moisture content will weigh more that dry wood.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
I'm assuming when you say you bought web from "this site", you mean the Smokin-It website?

If so, my chunks typically weigh about 2-3 ounces a piece. So, putting in three of them (6-9oz) would have been way too much for ribs. For ribs, I usually only use 2.5-3.5 ounces.

I just bought a basic digital scale at Wally World for $15-$20. I have found that I use it for a lot of different things.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Papa Rick

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 06:45:32 PM »
Appreciate it Gregg.