Author Topic: Need Advice - Baby Shower  (Read 2851 times)

sturcott

Need Advice - Baby Shower
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:35 PM »
I got the model 2 for Christmas a couple years back and love it. However, I had some questions and would appreciate your help.

I plan to cook:

2 x 8-10 lb Pork Butt for pulled pork.
1 x 8-10 lb Beef Brisket

I've done pork butt before with great results, but wasn't sure about how the cooking times will be affected by the amount of meat I want to cook. I know it can smoke up to 35 pounds, but I've never got this close to the max capacity. Do you have any suggestions for making sure it is done in time? How much wood should I start with? Would wrapping the brisket in foil halfway through be a good idea?

I plan to brine and rub the pork butt, rub the brisket. I need them done and ready (pulled/sliced) by 4pm on Saturday.

Thanks for your help!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Need Advice - Baby Shower
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »
Hi Sturcott!  Glad to finally have you join us!!  You obviously have some good experience, since you've had your smoker 2 years.  Sure wish we'd have met you back then!  As you can see, there's a whole bunch of us here now, and we're all here to learn, help and share!  Head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about your experience, when able.  Also, we would appreciate a first name and town in your signature line - lots more "personal" that way!

Now, on to your question!  2 butts will fit in the #2, but you may be hard-pressed to get 2 butts and a brisket in there at once without difficulty.  If I were providing meat for this event, I would smoke the 2 butts first, a day or 2 in advance.  When you double-wrap in foil to rest them, let them rest for an hour, then get them in the fridge, or a cooler full of ice.  They can easily be reheated whole, by either putting the still-wrapped butts in the smoker at 140, for several hours, or placing them in a crock pot on low for several hours.  When you unwrap them, they'll pull like you just took them out.

I would save the brisket to put in Friday evening, set to 225.  A 10 lb whole brisket should take 10-15 hours.  If it's done early, wrap it in 2 layers of HD foil, and hold it in a cooler with towels below it and on top.  You can keep it for several hours like this.

As far as wood and time:  The 2 butts should get 6-7 oz of wood, and will smoke like a single butt in the smoker.  Since you're doing 2, use 235-240 for the box temp.  Timing will be similar to a single.

For the brisket - same amount of wood (6 oz), but smoke at 225 with the fat-cap down.  No need to wrap, if you do it by itself.

You may have to start earlier than you were thinking!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

sturcott

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
Thanks for your help! I am going with your advice! Do you think reheating the wrapped butts in an oven would also do the trick?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »
Thanks for your help! I am going with your advice! Do you think reheating the wrapped butts in an oven would also do the trick?

Absolutely!  Just put the double-wrapped butts in the oven, at your lowest setting (my oven is 170), and let them heat slowly for a few hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sturcott

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
Thanks again for your advice. I did a bunch of research and appreciate you persuading me to do two smokes. I wound up doing two 10ish-lb briskets and two 8lb pork butts. Here's what I did:

1. Trimmed brisket. Made a pepper-salt mixture and rubbed them down. Wrapped it in aluminum foil and tossed it in the refrigerator.

1. Followed Alton Brown's pork butt recipe - trimmed, tied, and brined them in salt and molasses. Rubbed down the pork at 3:30am on Friday morning. Got them in the smoker with just over 7oz of apple wood at 220. Went to work like a zombie.

2. Got out early on Friday and got home. The two butts were cooking unevenly, so I swapped levels, moved them both up a bit, put in a pan of apple juice in the bottom level, closest to the burner. I upped the temp to 240 or so. The cooking seemed to even out a lot and the pork looked happier. Got the pork butts out and rested them at about 6pm on Friday night. I wound up pulling them then and putting into two large-double layer ziploc bags, which I put in the fridge.

3. Inspected the brisket. The surface looked uniformly dry and the grain had opened up a bit.

3. Let the smoker cool off and swapped out grill grates. Replaced aluminum foil, emptied drippings pan. Wiped out pork-laden stuff.

4. Loaded the smoker with about 8 oz of a mixture of hickory. I went with chunks of hickory and chips of alder. While it was mostly hickory, I wanted a few woods with different characteristics and sizes. Probably sacrilegious, but I figured I'd get an interesting flavor profile and different smoke rates before it got too hot.

5. I sprayed the grates with a high-temp baking spray and loaded them on two levels in a cross pattern. Let it go for awhile. After about 8 hours, I checked the temps and spritzed with an apple-y (cider and apple juice) spritz.

6. They went a lot faster than I anticipated and needed to be swapped.

7. I wrapped them in HD foil at about 150-160 with a healthy spritzing.

8. Once they were at 190ish, I transferred them to a cooler with some old heavy duty cotton bath mats. I let them rest for about 1-2 hours.

9. At about 1pm, I brought a mixture of apple juice, butter, and a scant bit of spice rub to boil. I loaded a crock pot with the first bit of pulled pork and mixed it with the mixture. It warmed up fairly evenly and maintained the bark.

The brisket looked perfect, but it was 2pm. I kept the wrapped brisket in a 170 degree oven, mowed the lawn, set up picnic tables, weeded….

At about 3:30, I made a mixture of the rub (salt & pepper), a slight bit of dr. pepper and water, which I brought to a boil and loaded in a crock pot set to warm. I made a little platform out of aluminum foil to keep the meat out of the liquid. The brisket was perfect. I sliced one brisket and put it into the crock. It passed the test where a strip can support its own weight but separates with a slight tug.

My yields were very good and the meat was a grand success. We had about 40 people (some KC & NC BBQ folks) and a ton of kids. I had to make some decisions that might make purists gasp, but we also had to make food to accommodate the vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, no-dairy, crowd. The party was an overwhelming success - no leftovers though :(

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
Outstanding!  Sounds like you "improvised, adapted, and overcame" with great success!  Congrats on a fine smoke! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:59:38 AM »
Nice job! That must have been one heck of a party and good food to not have any leftovers.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
No leftovers = success in my book. Great job.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN