Author Topic: Post Turkey Ribs  (Read 1803 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Post Turkey Ribs
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
Well turkey leftovers are done and I had to try ribs.

#2 SI

Smithfield Baby Backs from store. (seemed not so baby to me)

Rub was Oakridge Dominator rib rub (found at local store) (info online too) Well recommended!

Yellow mustard underneath.

230 degrees, 5 hours, 3 oz cherry wood.

Taste was good, but not really "fall off the bone" peel off.

1st smoke with no probe and or temp probe.   Just followed recipes on this forum.

Might try lower temp next time and an extra 45 mins.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Post Turkey Ribs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
They look good!  I actually use 235, and 5 hours is a starting point for testing.  I usually smoke 3 racks at a time, and they never take less than 5:15  to 5:45 on time to get fall-off-the-bone tender.  Don't get wrapped up on the 5 hour thing!  You hear it like it's an absolute, but it's not.  The meat has its own agenda, and it's done when it's done.  Ribs are a "feel" thing.  It they're not tender, and pulling away from the bone, they need more time.  Another 30 minutes would have fixed your tenderness.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:56:50 PM »
PS, Did potatoes with EVOO and season salt in same smoke, best starch I have had in a long time.

PSS, Added 4 oz of apple juice in cut open top beer can in the #2.  After 5 hours, only 1 oz used.  Yes, non scientific, but I guess liquid is not required.

John

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Glad to hear that you liked the potatoes...I always throw a couple in when doing ribs, and I really like the smoked skin!    I use a small loaf pan with apple juice when I do ribs, and I always have juice left over when done.  I think the only time that I have seen the juice evaporate is on a long smoke for a boston butt.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
John, the cut-open can just isn't enough surface area for the juice/beer/water pan (imo).  I also use the disposable aluminum mini-loaf pans.  Good surface area, and they tuck right up against the hot smoke box, so they get hot enough to do their job - steam the liquid!  I fill them about 3/4 full, and never have one go empty, even on the 12+ hour smokes.  It adds more moisture than you think, and does make a difference.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!