Author Topic: Need help with time constrants  (Read 1725 times)

Colonel

Need help with time constrants
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi SI family, I'm new here and just got my model 2 last week. I am a police officer working the riots in Ferguson and wanted to make food for my boys working. So I was planning a pork butt and maybe a turkey breast.  Here comes the problem... I'm working 12 hour plus shifts and I know a pork butt can take up to 14 hours.  Any ideas on how to smoke these meats in less than 10.- 12 hours?  Maybe smaller butts?  Please help or we'll be eating cold cuts

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Need help with time constrants
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
First, be careful out there. You are all in my prayers as this senseless violence continues.

You could try smoking at 235 instead of the traditional 225. You should be able to get to 175 within your timeframe. 175 internal temp is great for sliced pork.

I had a butt not get done in time for a potluck at work one time, so I just sliced it with an electric knife and it was awesome!

You could also switch to a turkey or some chickens which would get done in 5-6 hours.

God bless and good luck with your smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
Colonel - welcome, and God bless you for the work you do!  As a former police officer myself, my thoughts are with my brothers and sisters in Ferguson!  Time for this nonsense to end!

Congrats on the smoker!  Under your time constraints, I would skip the pork butts until you have more time.  Turkey breasts are short, and you can also smoke baby back ribs and whole pork loins in 4-6 hours.  Check out the loin and rib recipes.  Also, whole chickens only take 4-5 hours, and are incredible!  If you smoke a pork butt, you can go to 175 internal temp for sliced butt - pretty tasty!  Pulled pork takes much longer to get to 195.

Stay safe out there, and let us know how we can help!  Glad to have a real American hero on board! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

King Daddy Rabbit

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:28:26 AM »
I would cook them at the highest setting. Check them 4-5 hrs before your shift. If needed place in oven and turn as high as needed to finish in time. Wrapping in foil also speeds cooking times. You will have plenty of smoke by then. They will be good and you can promise your men the ones to follow in better times will be even better. Unorthodox times call for unorthodox solutions. Did lot of that in Afghanistan. Stay safe Sir.
Russell
Weatherford, TX