Author Topic: Questioning Temp Probe  (Read 9255 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Questioning Temp Probe
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »
Wow DAMN and FOIL in the same thread, all this swearing.....

This sets the record for the most heated discussion over a 3.5 lb butt ever! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
I don't know. It doesn't really sound off to me. I have heard of people here smoking small butts and it taking just as long as the larger ones.

I have a feeling that purchasing the manual probe is going to be a waste of money except for providing some piece of mind.

Well, I normally wouldn't say I told you so but... ;)

Those smaller roasts just have a mind of their own sometimes.

In the future I would recommend trying to find a 7-10 pounder.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
Gregg's sure right about size - it does matter! ;)   I once smoked a 4 lb corned beef brisket that took 11 hours!  I wouldn't have believed it, had I not lived it!  And that was after bumping the temp to 240!  Larger cuts cook so much better.  I think the little roasts shrink-up too much, and the muscle gets tight and dense, and increases the cook time.  Just my theory...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »
Reading this conversation just brought the lyrics from "Baby Got Back" into my mind... "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Damn this thread!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 02:06:47 AM »
Huh?!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:47:56 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

kelvinator

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »
I am currently smoking a pork butt. Prior to this I have only done 3 smokes on my #2. First was meatloaf, second ribs, and third salmon. All three took longer than I expected by 1.5-3 hours.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Looking forward to pics, Kelvin! ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
Pigs (and other animals we eat for that matter), being agricultural products can vary quite a bit from one to the next in muscle structure. I have found wide variations in cooking time between butts (1.5 hours/pound all the way up to nearly 3 hours/pound). Briskets can also vary. Sometimes it's just the animal. Maybe your piggy got more exercise!  ;D Internal temperature is what's important. I just plan on at least 2 hours/pound + 2 hour rest, and if it's done early, it can be wrapped and kept warm, then rested. Butts just seem to get better.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
You are SO dead-on, Kari!  Meat is made by animals, one at a time!  While all pork will have "similar" characteristics, it is certainly NOT all the same, every time!  Some folks want a "cookie cutter" cook, every time, and that just ain't gonna happen with BBQ!  Even as accurate, and easy, as it is in the SI, there's still variables beyond our control.  Never know if you're going to get Porky Schwarzenegger, or Porky Couch Potato!   ;) ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »
You are SO dead-on, Kari!  Meat is made by animals, one at a time!  While all pork will have "similar" characteristics, it is certainly NOT all the same, every time!  Some folks want a "cookie cutter" cook, every time, and that just ain't gonna happen with BBQ!  Even as accurate, and easy, as it is in the SI, there's still variables beyond our control.  Never know if you're going to get Porky Schwarzenegger, or Porky Couch Potato!   ;) ;D

Tony, you sure about that?  :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2384715/At-tastes-meat--Worlds-test-tube-artificial-beef-Googleburger-gets-GOOD-review-eaten-time.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/05/synthetic-meat-burger-stem-cells

Science is amazing. For now I think I'm happy with the real meat and the science behind the SI smokers!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
Tony, I'll pass on the synthetic meat! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

Mickey

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
The easy reliable way is to check at two known points.  Your "zero" is a ice water bath, just fill a measuring cup with ice cube and top off with water, stir.  The water will be for all practical purposes 32. d.f.  Your "span" will be boiling water, cup of water heated in microwave and it should read 212 d.f.  If you do this and the instrument checks out it's highly unlikely it would be incorrect at any other temp. that would be used to cook food.