Author Topic: Rib Hooks .... Absolutely no one uses them ?!?  (Read 5108 times)

Elliottbte

Rib Hooks .... Absolutely no one uses them ?!?
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:18:23 AM »
I have searched the forum through and through and have not found any occurrence of someone using the rib hooks. Can this be true? 

I have an SI#1 and have had my first smokes with pork butt and then brisket, highly successful due to the advice from all here.  Ribs are next.  I was thinking to use the rib hooks as I don't have the rib rack (at least yet).  I would really appreciate hearing from anyone using the hooks.  How used? Heavier end up or down?  How many split rack in a # 1?

In the event I hear bad or no reviews on the rib hooks, I guess I'll just use the top 2 racks (I only have two shelves  :().  I'm thinking I can only fit 1 rack per shelf, cut in half?  Is that about right?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Rib Hooks .... Absolutely no one uses them ?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
I have the rib hooks but never use them.

My biggest fear... The ribs near the element would be dry... And or that the ribs fall from the hook and are laying on the element.

I see no need for them with all of the shelves in the units.  Kind of a catch 22 aaaaaalllllll the shelf space leaves the rib hooks an afterthought.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
I used them to hang chickens from the top rack, they worked well for that. I could have used s-hooks but would not have been able to get the birds as high as I did. If you are worried about things falling just leave the bottom rack in.

However even with that successful use and suggestion I should point out I wont use them for ribs and would not have them if they weren't free.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
I have full intention of using mine but for an unintended use, hanging split chickens. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »
That I need a picture of please... I am zoning in on mastering chicken... I have pork butt, ribs, and full packer briskest down solid... No thinking required.

Chicken I am close...
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
I could maybe see using them in a #3 or maybe a #2. But I think you would run the risk of uneven cooking in the shorter #1.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Elliottbte

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the best plan is to get the rib rack for the #1. I think that does 3 1/2 racks. Otherwise I would have to use all three shelves and I'm afraid the lower shelf would be a good bit hotter.  Hopefully I'll get to see some pictures of how the hooks were used on chicken as noted above.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:59:23 AM by Elliottbte »
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

kelvinator

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 01:31:19 AM »
I don't think I would use them just based on the fear of the ribs ripping off as they got tender. Too much money and time invested to have them fall off.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:31 AM »
- Sigmund Freud

Elliottbte

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Polish
Here is that chicken:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2704.msg19496#new
Are the bags tied to the rack?  And I can't quite see how the hooks are used?  Are they holding the bag or inserted into the chicken somehow?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »
I sealed the bags with a double wrap of butchers twine and tied it off leaving a small loop. I pulled that loop up through the rack and hooked it on the short end of the rib-hook. I pulled on the rib hook to remove all slack and hooked the large end of the hook down through the grate.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
I think Brian has found the perfect use for the rib hooks - and it ain't ribs! ;)   I wouldn't use them, for all the reasons stated here so far, and the fact that the best ribs are smoked laying flat, bone-side down, on the highest shelves!  You can't beat the consistency of having the meat baste itself above the bone, which shields the meat from the heat source below!  Perfect!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!