Author Topic: Smoked Chuckie Sammich  (Read 2497 times)

RG

Smoked Chuckie Sammich
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »
My better half and I each smoked a chuck roast today. She did hers on the keg with a little injection of Fab B Lite like we use on briskets and she smoked it until it reached 150° and then into a pan with red potatoes, onions, celery, carrots. She covered the pan with foil and let it ride to 200°ish. It was tasty. The story doesn't end there though. I smoked one as well! I "fired" up the #3 and cooked one myself ;) We called it a "Chuck Off". Doesn't sound like a good name now that I look back on it, lol.

I marinated mine in some Stubb's Beef Marinade for about 2 hours. I rubbed it with coarse pepper and kosher salt and then into a pan and onto the Smokin-It for about 8 hours total. Smoked it at 225° with apple and hickory. At about 155° IT I added some beer to the pan and foiled it. I then raised the temp of the smoker to 250°.  This thing drove me crazy, it stalled like it was a gigantic piece of meat! It was only 3.3 pounds! I grew impatient and finished it in the oven, it was at 203° IT but was still not super tender. The oven resolved that at 325° for about 30 minutes. I finally pulled it and shredded it and put it back into the pan with a little of the au jus and mixed in some spicy bbq sauce I made up. Served it on a potato roll with some Devil's Spit pickles. It was very tasty!

Somehow I never took pics of it on the smoker! What was I thinking? :o

Thanks for looking!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Smoked Chuckie Sammich
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
That looks fantastic!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Looks great, RG!   This is a smoke that I need to add to my 'to do' list.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
Man RG, doesn't look like there is a thing wrong with the sammie!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
Looks like the results were top notch.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

RG

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
I was real happy with it! My son preferred my method over what my wife cooked ;)

I actually took a tortilla and topped it with sharp cheddar shreds and nuked it for 20 seconds, took a generous amount of the bbq chuckie and nuked it in a bowl for 40 seconds and then put it on the tortilla and added a little more cheddar before rolling it up into a bbq burrito. Man that was a tasty lunch!

Speaking of the other chuckie that my wife cooked, here it is.

Injected with Fab B Lite and topped with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Kosher Salt. She adds salt to everything! Good thing I'm not a slug, I'd shrivel up and die after one bite of her food :P

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
Hey RG, how long did your wife leave the chuck with the veggies before it was done? I assume the temp she used was 225.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
She cooked the meat on a grate with a drip pan below it (on the Keg) at 250° until it reached 150° internal. Then removed it from the Keg and put the veggies into the drip pan along with the roast on top and covered it with foil after adding beef broth. They cooked with the meat until the meat was done, about 2-3 hours I'd say. If they were cooked the whole time they would've been mush!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
Nice!  You and Mrs. RG must be so proud of your little Chucky's!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!