Author Topic: Smoked Burgers #2  (Read 4263 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Burgers #2
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
For dinner I decided to smoke burgers again. Last time they tasted good, but were a bit to smokey (used 2 oz. hickory).

So for this smoke I went with 1 oz. of oak. The final results not a bad dinner, but my wife and I agree, next time just grill them.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smoked Burgers #2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
I'm the same with chicken wings, but next time I'll sear on gasser of the smoke.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »
Oh well, things you don't smoke you can always grill :)

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
Greg, is the SI your only smoker?  I smoked some burgers on my propane smoker where I could easily get higher heat and they turned out wonderful. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
I tried hamburgers a while ago and did not like the taste with hickory wood.  However, steaks in the SI with mesquite turn out great.  I wonder if mesquite would be a better choice for hamburgers?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
I tried hamburgers a while ago and did not like the taste with hickory wood.  However, steaks in the SI with mesquite turn out great.  I wonder if mesquite would be a better choice for hamburgers?

So far I have tried both hickory and oak and I didn't like the overall taste.

Today I even reduced the amount of wood and the smoke time. Since I have been reverse searing, I might as well just do on the grill and use my smoker box!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
I agree...I stopped trying to do hamburgers in the SI, they just did not have the same consistency and perhaps that is because of the low smoke temps.   But I would suggest trying steaks out...my wife and I really like them smoked for about an hour and then reverse seared on the gasser.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
I agree...I stopped trying to do hamburgers in the SI, they just did not have the same consistency and perhaps that is because of the low smoke temps.   But I would suggest trying steaks out...my wife and I really like them smoked for about an hour and then reverse seared on the gasser.

Steve,

I will try steaks in the future.

The interesting thing is that the Moink balls with 2 oz. of oak tasted great (note this is 2.5 lbs. of meat). When I did mushrooms I used 2.25 oz. of cherry for 1 hour and it was also tasted to strong. The burgers were 5 oz. or a total of 10 oz. of meat with 1.5 oz. of oak.

So it looks like mass and fat content really does play a part here and also, some things like mushrooms pick up smoke more easily.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
You know I bleed SI red, but I also understand the limitations of every piece of gear.  There are things my SI does better than anything I've ever seen, but there are also things that I can do so much better on the ol' Weber gasser!  Burgers and steaks are definitely in that wheel house for me.  If I want a little smoky flavor, I throw a chunk of x-wood of choice on the bars above the burners on my grill.  Voila!  Smoky burgers or steaks, nicely-seared and perfect every time!

To me, having to partially-cook burgers or steaks in the SI, then finish on the grill, just doesn't fit my Lazy Q lifestyle! ;)   The "hassle" factor is too high!  I don't mind firing up the grill for a reverse-sear on a roast or loin, because a long, slow smoke is the only way to truly cook them right, but burgers and steaks are definitely not in that category - at least for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
You know I bleed SI red, but I also understand the limitations of every piece of gear.  There are things my SI does better than anything I've ever seen, but there are also things that I can do so much better on the ol' Weber gasser!  Burgers and steaks are definitely in that wheel house for me.  If I want a little smoky flavor, I throw a chunk of x-wood of choice on the bars above the burners on my grill.  Voila!  Smoky burgers or steaks, nicely-seared and perfect every time!

To me, having to partially-cook burgers or steaks in the SI, then finish on the grill, just doesn't fit my Lazy Q lifestyle! ;)   The "hassle" factor is too high!  I don't mind firing up the grill for a reverse-sear on a roast or loin, because a long, slow smoke is the only way to truly cook them right, but burgers and steaks are definitely not in that category - at least for me.

Yep, well said.......

I am still working on that perfect meal and and experimenting along the way.  The good news, even an average meal smoked or grilled is still better then most of the meals you will pay to much for eating out!

That's why we have most of us have a smoker and a grill :)

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:38:19 AM »
I agree Divot that it takes more time and effort to partially smoke and then finish on the grill, but I have to say that the smoke flavor on the steaks for me is better than just grilling with a wood chunk on the flavor bar...which is what I do any time I have the Weber fired up.    For hamburgers, I just use the grill, but occasionally I still like to start a couple thick steaks on the SI and then finish on the Weber.   If you haven't tried the steaks on the SI, please do and see what you think.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2